You’ve probably heard of and had to deal with the man cold. Men turn into such babies when they are sick. They act like they’re dying and use being sick as an excuse to do absolutely nothing.
But the mom cold?
When do moms actually get to do nothing but rest? We tend to have to keep doing the parenting thing even if we are sick.
But I think we need to take some tips from the man cold and actually get some rest.
To help with this, here are some mom cold essentials:
1. Earplugs. You need your rest and earplugs will help block out the demands of “Mo-om! I’m hungry/thirsty/bored/fighting with my brother/etc.” If you can’t hear them, you won’t feel bad about ignoring them. You shouldn’t feel bad anyway: you’re sick. Time for the hubster to step up and toss some frozen waffles into the toaster.
2. Nyquil or whatever knock-you-out meds happen to float your boat. Forced rest for the mom who thinks she should still be doing everything.
3. Strong lock for the bedroom door. All the better to not be bothered.
4. Cough drops. Even if you don’t have a sore throat to start with, you’ll probably get one from yelling out reminders to leave mama alone, she’s sick.
5. Take-out numbers on speed dial. No cooking for you, sick mama. But you still need to eat.
6. A housekeeper: so when mom is finally feeling better, she doesn’t leave her bedroom sanctuary to find that the house is in total shambles and wear herself out again trying to catch up from the 5 days of destruction her family managed in the one day she took for to get herself better. Btw, if you figure out how to get this kind of help, other than capturing a cleaning fairy, let me know.