I received products from Shark in exchange for this post. Check it out for tips on how to clean common household stains.
3 boys + 1 cat + a clumsy mom + a husband = messes.
Sometimes I feel like I’m fighting a losing battle around here when it comes to trying to keep my house clean.
The clutter is probably the easiest to deal with because I can tell everyone to put their own things away and it’s handled. But then there are the stains. I’m going to share some tips I learned from Shark to remove common household stains.
How to remove crayon or dried paint
These tips are for adhesive/glue, candle wax, crayon, dried paint, oil based & water based paint (wet)
- Step 1: Apply 1 tsp of rubbing alcohol to a clean cloth. Gently pat the stain from the edges and work your way to the center. Once at the center of the stain, gently tug upwards as if pinching the stain away. Continue until the stain is removed or improved.
- Step 2: If the stain does not improve, pour some carbonated water onto a clean cloth. Gently pat the stain from the edges and work your way to the center. Once at the center of the stain, gently tug upwards as if pinching the stain away. Continue until the stain is removed or improved.
- Step 3: Let the area dry completely.
- Step 4: If the stain is still visible, you will need to use a proper carpet cleaning solution. For best results, use the Activating Pretreated Carpet Stain & Odor Remover with Shark®.
How to remove food stains
These tips are for food stains like banana, berries, butter or margarine, cheese, chocolate, cooking fat, oil & grease, egg, ice cream, jelly or jam, ketchup, meat, candy, peanut butter, popsicle, soy sauce, spaghetti sauce, tomato/tomato sauce/tomato paste
- Step 1: With a clean dry cloth or paper towel, blot the area. Apply small amounts of cold water. Blot several times until all or most of the moisture has been blotted out.
- Step 2: In a spray bottle, Mix 1 cup of lukewarm water with 1/4 teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent into 1 cup of lukewarm water. Spray the stained area with the mixture. Use enough of the mixture to saturate the stained area. Using a cloth, gently pat the stain from the edges and work your way to the center. Once at the center of the stain, gently tug upwards as if pinching the stain away.
- Step 3: Rinse out the spray bottle and ensure there is no dishwashing solution in it. Fill the bottle with lukewarm water. Spray the stained area lightly. Blot the wet area until as dry as possible. Continue to spray with lukewarm water and blot until dry until the stain is removed or improved, and there is no longer any detergent residue on the carpet stain.
- Step 4: Let the area dry completely.
- Step 5: If the stain is still visible, you will need to use a proper carpet cleaning solution. For best results, use the Activating Pretreated Carpet Stain & Odor Remover with Shark®.
Even when I’m not dealing with stains, I still need to clean my floors. I was sent a Shark Rocket Complete with DuoClean Technology, which is amazing on floors and carpets. I was a little bit skeptical at first, thinking that since it’s not some huge, monstrously sized vacuum that it would only be good on small, easy jobs. But I was so wrong. I’ve actually relegated our old (huge, monstrously sized name brand I know you’d recognize) vacuum to the garage because this Shark is all I need for our floors and carpets. It gets the large particles, small particles, and even the stuck-on. And yes, it does a great job with the cat hair around here, too.
There’s so much that this Shark does, but I’ll let you head over and read more details on the Shark site- they have videos so you can see it in action and comparisons with other vacuums. But, I did want to tell you my favorite part. The Shark Rocket Complete with DuoClean Technology easily converts to a removable handheld vac. There are all sorts of cleaning attachments. I think I vacuumed under my stove for the first time since we moved into this house. Plus, I could easily vacuum my stairs, with no need to drag a heavy vacuum up and down with me or worry about keeping it balanced on the stairs. And there’s an Upholstery Tool and a TruePet Mini Motorized Brush, along with other tools- all so easy to use with the handheld vacuum.
You want Santa to bring you one of these! Be sure to check out the exclusive offers from Shark -as of this posting, you save $155+ when you buy directly from Shark and they have payment options, as well.