This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Walmart Family Mobile. All opinions are mine alone. #AngryForSavings #CollectiveBias
I live with The Angry Birds.
We have one who is a little moody and likes to be by himself, but has some really smart ideas, like Red. One who is a bit impulsive and quirky, like Chuck the Yellow Angry Bird. And one who believes he is one of the Pigs, because he always likes the villains in movies and games. Not to name name here, but I may have just described my children in birth order. *cough, cough*
I guess that’s why they loved The Angry Birds movie so much. I knew they’d want to have a movie night at home to watch it as soon as we could. I love family movie nights: fun and savings and of course some snacks!
I decided to make a little something for Red, Chuck, and the Pigs, so I was looking to make red, yellow, and green snacks. We made a yummy fruity popcorn and fun fruity drinks.
Angry Birds Fruity Popcorn Treat
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3oz package of gelatin
- 6 cups of popcorn (remove any unpopped kernels)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Melt butter and corn syrup in a small/medium pot over medium heat.
- Once melted, add sugar and gelatin and stir over high heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, pour mixture over the popcorn and stir to coat.
- Pour popcorn onto the cookie sheet, spreading out as you can.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before breaking apart.
- I used strawberry gelatin for the red and sour apple for the green. I did add a few drops of neon green gel food coloring to the sour apple because I wanted a little bit more of a vibrant color.
- I originally used about 7 cups of popcorn for this recipe. If you use 6 (or even 5), your popcorn will be covered more completely, though I thought the flavor was great even with using 7. It’s more for looks to use less, so that’s up to you.
- I decided to use extra butter popcorn for the yellow and not use gelatin because I like the combination of salty with sweet, but next time, my kids have requested I use lemon gelatin.
- For the fruity popcorn, I used lightly salted popcorn.
- When you first stir in the gelatin and sugar, your mixture will be thick. It might seem like you’ve messed up and that this will never pour over your popcorn, but it really will be fine after the 5 minutes of simmering.
- The mixture is REALLY HOT when you pour it over your popcorn, so use a long spoon to stir and coat the popcorn.
Angry Birds Drinks
After I made these Angry Birds drinks, my 8 year old pointed out a super fast and easy way we could have accomplished the same results. I’ll tell you what I did and then what his idea is. His is perfect if you don’t want to take the time to freeze the ice cubes.
- fruit drinks in the flavors/colors you want
- lemon-lime soda (or any clear soda)
- Freeze fruit drinks in ice cube trays. I used strawberry for red bird, lemonade for yellow bird, and green berry for the pigs. I saw that the Walmart brand of sodas had brightly colored drinks that could work well here, too, for under $1 for a 2 liter.
- Add ice cubes to a tall glass and fill with soda. The more ice cubes you add, the sweeter your drink, so add ice accordingly.
- Really, just one note. My son’s suggestion: cut up popsicles and use those as the ice cubes. So quick and simple!
So, of course, with these Angry Birds snacks, my boys wanted to have a movie night. With the Walmart Family Mobile PLUS Plan, we get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data which includes up to 10GB of 4G LTE plus a free movie on VUDU every month ($7 value) per line for $49.88. So we added the VUDU app to our smart tv to check it out.
It’s a great bonus to what is already an amazing deal on a mobile plan. What’s really helpful for those of us looking for savings is that you can start any Walmart Family Mobile Plan for $19.88- that’s all you pay when you sign up, in addition to the phone you choose. We selected the Coolpad Catalyst(which you can see in some of the photos above) for$59.88. Now that I’m going to have kids in two different schools this year, we needed to add another phone to our family. If you’re in a similar situation or if you’re just looking for a better deal on your mobile plan, make sure you check out the Walmart Family Mobile Plus Plan.
You can check out an in-store event near you to meet with a Walmart Family Mobile rep to learn more. The event will have a code that you can scan to receive a free power up for the Endless Runner Game on the Angry Birds Action! app. And if you scan the Angry Birds code on the displays, you’ll unlock a selfie augmented reality experience with the Hatchlings.
Disclaimer: All prices for phones and plans included in this post are accurate as of the date of posting; however, these prices are subject to change. Please refer to http://cbi.as/4q-u1 or your local Walmart for current pricing.