I love summertime. Lazier days with a much more forgiving schedule than during the school year. Family time and sunshine: my happy place.
Though, with kids, you do have to be prepared. They might think the only things they need to get through the summer are their bathing suits and a little sunscreen, but here are my top 10 summer must haves:
- Fully stocked first aid kit. There’s something about summer that makes my kids braver and bolder and therefore more likely to get bumps, bruises, scrapes, and bug bites. Plus, there’s always a random summer sickness. It’s best to be prepared and have everything you could possibly need on hand instead of having to make a run to the store with an injured or sick child.
- A go bag. One of those oversized bags that can fit everything you need for a day away from home with the kids. Bonus points if it has a few different zippered pockets.
- A go-to sundress. Easy to slip on for those times when you have to wear something other than your swimsuit, yet breezy enough to keep you cool on those hot days.
- Sunglasses. Stop the squinting in the bright sunlight.
- Hair ties or bobby pins. Wet hair, beach hair: I want it out of my face. (5a&b: dry shampoo and a leave-in conditioner because the summer sun can be rough on hair)
- Water bottle. For you, for the kids because you don’t want to end up dehydrated. While I usually have one with me all year long, it’s even more important in the summer.
- Plenty of beach towels. For the beach, the pool, water fights, the spontaneous summer downpour. You’ll want a lot so you can still head out to the pool even if some of your towels are in the laundry. And it’s a great idea to keep a stack in your car, just in case.
- Stash of fun summer toys. These don’t come out all the time, but just for those times when the kids are starting to go stir-crazy with boredom and have already run through their list of their usual activities. Water guns, water balloons, and yard games are our favorites.
- A back-up plan. My boys are usually pretty good at keeping themselves entertained around our neighborhood or content to go to the beach or the pool. But sometimes, we need a break from the norm and to be able to do something special. Have a plan for it. The indoor trampoline park, a museum, bowling, mini-golf, the movie theater. Have a few of these ideas ready for those days you really need them.
- Ice cream. This is my boys’ (and my) favorite summer treat. They hear the ice cream truck come by and they want it. But I much prefer to have ice cream stocked in the freezer so we can have it on our own time (and much more reasonably priced than the ice cream truck).
We just stocked up on the NEW Nestlé® Drumstick® S’mores, which brings out all the delicious flavor of S’mores with marshmallow flavored ice cream, and a rich graham cracker, chocolatey coating. S’mores without having to build a fire: summer win. Visit Drumstick.com to learn more.
What are your summer must-haves?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.