I’d been hearing for quite a long time that it is what I *needed* to do to take the next step in blogging.
But, I pffffffted that off. Because I was doing just fine on Blogger, thankyouverymuch.
Besides, when people I knew were making the switch a while back, it wasn’t possible to take your subscribers with you AND you lost all your comments. And well, I didn’t want to lose any of you or any of the wonderful comments you’d left me.
Plus, Blogger is so easy. You almost have to try to mess something up on that platform.
I’d watch people tweet about problems with wordpress and it looked like a foreign language to me.
Oh, and then there is the fact that you have to pay for a self-hosted blog on wordpress. It can be reasonable, but y’all know I’m cheap.
But then, last year, I worked for a blog writing celebrity gossip and it was on wordpress. I found that the actual posting itself really wasn’t all that different from posting on blogger. Plus, it seemed a bit cleaner, with everything in its place as you are composing.
It stopped being so scary.
I knew absolutely nothing about how to set up a wordpress blog. But, my other half, Ashley, knew how to get everything set up and transferred for me. Without losing anything at all. She’s the technical half, in case you can’t tell.
I’ve only been on here for a week, but here are my first impressions:
- much easier to reply to everyone and/or find their blogs than being on blogger
- instead of getting a separate email telling me I have a new comment, they are all threaded together as one, making my inbox much less scary
- if you are concerned about SEO, wp is definitely the place to be
- posting is easy, so unless you are trying to get fancy with other parts of your blog, it’s really not that much different than blogger
- there are plenty of people willing to help if you do have wp questions
I’m very happy to have made the switch. Next up for the blog: a new design!
If you have any non-technical questions about moving from blogger to wordpress, you can feel free to ask in the comments. If you want technical expertise or want someone to transfer your blog to wordpress, I highly recommend you ask Ashley about her WordPress Services.
Ashley of My Front Porch Swing handled my transfer and deals with my crazy questions. The fact that I’ll rave about her services was not something she required when she agreed to do all of this for me- I just think she’s fabulous.