I have this love-hate relationship with smoothies.
They always sound so good in theory, but many of them don’t actually fill me up and then I end up also consuming the meal that I was hoping to replace and now I’ve had way too many calories. Or, there are ones that are filling, but have so many calories on their own that I might as well have skipped the smoothie and given in to my Chick-fil-a biscuit craving(mmmm, spicy chicken Chick-fil-a biscuit….).
But, this Strawberry Orange Smoothie strikes a good balance. It did actually fill me up and has approximately 261 calories per serving (and 5g protein, 2g fat). I wouldn’t attempt to replace dinner with this smoothie, but it does make for a yummy breakfast.
I got the recipe from Home Chef, with the ingredients delivered to my door, but it’s easy to recreate at home.
When you add your ingredients to your blender, add the liquids first, then soft foods, followed by the hardest items(ice included) last. If you keep your fruit in the freezer, it will not only extend the life of your fruit, but it will improve the smoothie’s texture. This recipe makes two servings. I make both and the drink the second half the next day.
Strawberry Orange Smoothie
Makes 2 servings
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 5.3 oz pineapple Greek yogurt (this is a small container of Chobani)
- 1 navel orange
- 1 cup sliced strawberries (or if you use frozen strawberries, don’t worry about slicing them)
- 2 cups ice
- Peel orange and separate into sections.
- Place all ingredients (except ice) in blender.
- Blend on high for 2 minutes. I used my Nutri Ninja Nutri Bowl DUO on the smoothie setting instead.
- Add 2 cups ice and blend on high until smooth. Again, I used the smoothie setting on my Nutri Ninja.
- Divide smoothie between two glasses and enjoy!