I almost called this Easy Soft Sugar Cookies, but pretty much every recipe I share is easy. Who has time for complicated? Especially when there are so many easy recipes that taste fantastic and don’t keep you in the kitchen for hours and hours.
I absolutely love sugar cookies. Well, I love all cookies but I have to be in the mood for certain types, but I’m always in the mood for sugar cookies. But my favorites are the big, fluffy, soft sugar cookies, which, until this recipe, I couldn’t get the taste of unless I bought them from a bakery. All other sugar cookie recipes I’d tried at home had given me a thin or crispy or both cookie and that was not what I was looking for.
But this one is softy and thick deliciousness.
They are bars, which one of my kids dubbed “cooknies” since they’re cookies that you cut like brownies. Not to be confused with brookies, which is actually a thing, since these are sugar cookies and not brownies.
They’re super simple, and absolutely delicious. Enjoy!
Soft Sugar Cookie Bars
- 8oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix*
- 1 can of frosting (Funfetti or your choice)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line a 9×13″ pan with foil and lightly grease
- Cream together the butter and the sugar until smooth
- Add egg and vanilla until combined
- Slowly add the Funfetti cake mix until combined
- Spread into pan- it will be thick, so it requires a little bit of spreading to get it even and to the edges of the pan, since it doesn’t just pour
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes
- Allow to cool and then frost and decorate with sprinkles if desired
*There are packets of Funfetti mix that come in all these really vibrant colors. I used red ones for the 4th of July, decorating them with blue frosting and white sprinkles. If you use these packets instead of the box, use 1 full packet plus about 3/4 of a second.
I love these best when they’re chilled. So I put them in the fridge after frosting them.