Because there’s no homework to do or soccer practice to get to on Friday afternoons, they have become baking days. We get a yummy treat and my boys get more practice baking, helping along my quest to raise boys who know their way around the kitchen.
These one bowl brown sugar cookies are AMAZING. We’re already made them three times this school year because my boys keep requesting them. I always have these ingredients in the pantry and my boys can do all the steps on their own(except for putting the cookies into the oven and taking them out- maybe my oldest will get to try this step soon).
Everything is done in one bowl, so you aren’t creating a huge mess in your kitchen. These cookies are chewy and gigantic and absolutely perfect with a glass of milk.
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar plus 1/2 cup to roll cookies in before baking
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt butter(I have my oldest do this by putting in the microwave for 60 seconds.)
- In large bowl, stir together melted butter, 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar, and salt.
- Stir in egg and vanilla until mixed.
- Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda until combined.
- Scoop 1/4 cup sized balls of cookie dough on baking sheets (you’ll fit about 6-8 per cookie sheet).
- Add 1/2 cup brown sugar to the empty bowl(no need to wash it first), roll each dough ball in the sugar, and return them to the cookie sheet.
- Flatten dough balls into about 1/2 inch thickness (we use the bottoms of the 1/2 cup measuring cup).
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Tops should have puffed and cracked and edges should be golden.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then cool on wire rack.