You may have heard me squeal across twitter on Monday afternoon that I was going to the Blissdom conference and that I had a sponsor. I couldn’t help it- I was so excited!
Now, I’d like to introduce you to my sponsor: LeadCheck® .
They contacted me after I posted about my middle son’s lead poisoning. They offered to send me some of their LeadCheck® Swabs so that I could test to make sure that we didn’t have anything in our home now that has lead.
Like most of you, all I used to know about lead poisoning is that “it’s bad.” And that it could come from old paint. Or I’d heard stories about toys containing lead. But, I had no idea of just how much damage it could do to a child.
Plus, hey, if my child isn’t eating old paint chips, he’s safe, right? Wrong. What I learned is that kids can touch surfaces that contain lead… and then if they later put their hands to their mouths with the lead still on them, that’s a way for them to get the lead into their systems. And ironically enough, lead is very sweet, which appeals to kids.
After encountering children with illnesses related to lead-poisoning, Dr. Marcia Stone created LeadCheck® Swabs, allowing for instant-read lead-detection and the prevention of lead contamination. Over the years, Dr. Stone has contributed to the prevention of lead poisoning in children and adults through early lead detection. The EPA recognizes that LeadCheck® test kit can reliably determine that regulated lead-based paint is not present.
Some of the most common places that lead is found are:
*Vinyl lunch boxes
*Bathtubs (this includes older tubs and the glaze used on some newer tubs)
Believe me when I tell you that lead poisoning is not something that you ever want your child to go through. Lead may cause a range of health effects, from behavioral problems and learning disabilities, to seizures and death. Until we found out that my son had lead poisoning, Autism and Sensory Processing Disorder were considered. We do not know what the long term effects will be. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone.
I’m thrilled that LeadCheck ® exists and am excited about my partnership with them so that I can tell other moms about their products so that you can keep your children safe. Their products are very easy to use.
I have a giveaway of the swabs going on right now that ends tonight, if you are interested in trying these out. You can enter HERE.
Just this week, lead was found in reusable bags from Winn-Dixie, Publix, Sweetbay, Walmart, and Target. You can follow LeadCheck’s blog, like them on facebook, and follow them on twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest news about lead.
LeadCheck is sponsoring me to Blissdom in exchange for sharing information about them with you. But, as the mom of a child with lead poisoning, I’d want to share this anyway. Shhh, don’t tell them that.