When I poured my heart out to you about my son’s lead poisoning, many of you had questions about how you can keep your kids safe. It’s something all moms know that we want to avoid for our kids, but most don’t realize just how serious it can be.
LeadCheck contacted me last week and offered to send me some of their LeadCheck® Swabs. The owner of the company, Dr. Marcia Stone, created LeadCheck® Swabs 23 years ago after learning of children suffering from lead poisoning from exposure in their own homes. She combined years of scientific knowledge and experience to create an instant read lead detection tool to help protect families. I was very impressed by them: they read my post on a Wednesday and UPS was dropping off a package for me on Friday.
Though we have moved away from the source of my son’s lead poisoning, I’m still very concerned about any other possible sources of lead. I can’t begin to describe the feeling of panic that I have that we may have brought something with us that has been contaminated.
From their site: LeadCheck® Swabs are non-hazardous and provide a rapid, sensitive and specific test for leachable lead on any surface. When lead is detected, LeadCheck® Swabs and/or the surface being tested turns pink or red on contact, depending on the concentration of lead present. In the vast majority of test situations results are obtained in less than 30 seconds. When detecting low levels of lead, or lead chromate containing pigments, results may take longer to develop. Each kit contains test confirmation cards to verify individual test results.
They were very easy to use. So far, nothing that I have tested has had any lead. What a relief! After all that we have gone through with my son’s lead poisoning, it is so comforting to know that this product exists. And I will continue to test more items in our home until I feel reassured that we are completely lead-free.
There is a misconception that kids will only get lead poisoning from old paint or certain toys from China, but that’s not always the case. If you follow LeadCheck’s blog or twitter or facebook, you can stay on top of the latest information and warnings. Who would have ever thought that some bounce houses would be a potential threat?
Because lead poisoning is unfortunately something that is a part of my family’s life, I will be blogging more about it, because I want to make sure that moms realize just how dangerous it can be. Lead poisoning is preventable and not something that you ever want your child to have to go through.
But, for now, I wanted to make you aware that LeadCheck® Swabs exist. You can check out where to buy them AND they are offering two of my readers some of their product.
To enter: If your email is not visible in your profile, you must leave it with your comment. Mandatory entry must be completed for additional entries to count. Giveaway will end at 9pm EST on Saturday, November 20th. Winners will be selected by random.org, announced on this post, and notified by email. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be selected. US only, please.
Mandatory entry: Visit the LeadCheck blog and tell me something that you learned.
Additional entries: Leave a separate comment for each entry.
*Follow LeadCheck on twitter
*Like LeadCheck on facebook
*Follow shellthings on twitter
*Tweet this giveaway(leave link each time you tweet/may tweet once per day): Keep your kids safe from lead poisoning with the help of @LeadCheck Swabs. #Giveaway from @shellthings http://bit.ly/d0E0WZ
I was sent LeadCheck® Swabs before writing this review. Regardless, I would be singing their praises because I think it’s such an important thing that they are doing.
This giveaway is now closed. The winners are #2 Oka and #63 Raven in a Blue Room.