We’re a little pizza-ed out from our weekend. My boys like traditional Italian pizza with lots of cheese. While I’ll go along with it because it means an easy night for me in the kitchen, I like to venture out with other types of pizza, like this Greek pizza with tzatziki sauce. This pizza makes for a good dinner or you can cut it up into small squares and serve for a holiday appetizer: the green, red and white look festive.
This recipe is also highly customizable, depending on your tastes. I’ll share what toppings I used, but you can easily swap some out or add a little more of your favorites, a little less of what you don’t like as much. I love it with banana peppers and olives but sometimes make this without because my boys aren’t huge fans. You could even leave out the chicken for a vegetarian option.
- Pizza dough (either your favorite homemade recipe, refrigerated dough, or mix- I used Pampered Chef’s mix)
- 1/2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper
- 1-2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup sliced banana peppers
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Plus ingredients for tzatziki sauce(see recipe below)
- While your pizza dough is baking, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in a medium-sized pan.
- Add the chicken breast and season with the oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook about 4-5 minutes per side, until fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from pan and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Assemble your pizza with your desired ingredients from the suggestions above. I start with a good amount of our favorites all over the pizza and then add a sprinkling of the others for a little more flavor. Top with the tzatziki sauce(there will be extra that you can serve on the side for dipping. Or hide in the back of your fridge to be used with pita chips another day as a snack for you).
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup shredded cucumber
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste(I used a little less than 1/2 teaspoon)
- Mix all of the ingredients into a small bowl. I like to let it sit a while in the fridge before serving, but that’s a personal choice. You can taste it and add more of any of the ingredients to your taste- I usually end up with a little more lemon juice.