You have a blog. You’d like people to read that blog. Or you’d like more people to read it.
But, you feel a little stuck. HOW do you get to know people in the blogosphere? It really doesn’t work to just sit on your blog and wait for people to find you.
Twitter is one way, but we’ll (mostly) save that for another time. Today, let’s talk about commenting. And I mean REAL commenting: the type you want. When someone comments on your post, you want to know they read it, right? It’s disappointing if their post is all about them and their blog. “Come visit me!” or “Visiting from XYZ linky!” or continuing a conversation started by a comment on their blog without mentioning what you wrote is just rude. But, leaving a thoughtful comment is a great way to start a blog friendship.
But, where do you find the blogs to comment on? Where do you start? I have a few suggestions for you! Though, I do have to say before we even start the list that you should start with those who are already talking to you! The very first blogs I visit each day are the ones who take time to comment on mine. THEN, I’d go look for more friends!
1. Choose a blog that you like with an active community. Where people comment and join in. Now, go meet those people! Click on their profiles and go check out their blogs.
2. Choose a blog that you adore and check out their blogroll. If you trust their opinion, you will probably like some of the blogs on their blogroll, too.
3. Join in a link-up that interests you. Probably not one whose only goal is to get new followers. But, one like my Pour Your Heart Out or Mama Kat’s Writers Workshop or Only Parent Chronicles’ Post-it Note Tuesday. If fiction is your thing, check out The Red Dress Club. There are photography linkies, recipe linkies, craft linkies: chose something that you actually like! And then YOU go visit as many of the linkers as you possibly can.
4. Check out the blogs of people you follow on twitter. No, not every person on twitter has a blog, but if you enjoy talking to someone on twitter, check out their profile and see if they do have a blog.
5. Ask on twitter- tweet out “Tell me your favorite blog that I might not know about!” Or you could even blog this and ask for suggestions.
Hey, I’ll do this right now- when you comment, leave a link to a blog you love.
Come back next week for part 2 of Making Blog Friends: 5 Things NOT to Do