Why This Mom Likes Minecraft

Let me be really clear here: I have zero clue how to play Minecraft. My boys tried to show me how to play and it went right over my head and I went back to reading a book beside them as they played instead of playing Minecraft along with them.

But I don’t mind my boys playing. At least, during the time they’re allowed to be on devices.

Despite all their talk about creepers and pigs and cows and chickens and sheep and trees and wolves and zombies and diamonds and skeletons and iron and gold and whatever else, I don’t mind their fascination with Minecraft. See my friend Jen’s list of the crazy things kids say when they play Minecraft.

My Creeper, last Halloween.

My Creeper, last Halloween.

All three of my boys can play Minecraft together. I love seeing them work together.

My oldest did his independent study project during the last week of school on “How Minecraft Can Help You Learn Multiplication” and even made a video explaining it. While I think that might have been a little bit of a stretch, at least it got him thinking.

But really, what I like about it is that Minecraft is like the secret handshake among boys(and some girls, too, I know) that instantly forms a connection when my boys meet new kids. It says hey, we have something in common, we can talk all about what worlds we’ve built in Minecraft and the tips and tricks we’ve figured out.

My youngest might be the baby of a group, but that suddenly doesn’t matter when he can explain to a 13 year old how to do something in Minecraft: that “baby” is now cool. And no one questions why my middle son doesn’t take his eyes off the screen when he’s talking to other kids about Minecraft. And my oldest finds it easy to slip right into a group and play, when he’s normally introverted.

So, I’ll take Minecraft. There are definitely worse things that my kids could be doing.

Even if I still don’t get it.

Do your kids play Minecraft? Do you?

Comments

1. Diana says

My boys are obsessed with Minecraft as well.  I used to refer to as Virtual Legos on Steroids which I still think is an adequate description on it.  I like that it gives them something to talk about with other children, because most of their other interests are different from kids their age.   Girls are probably more into it than you realize as well.

I agree whole-heartedly. I do not get it. I really don’t, and I may never, despite how bad they want me to learn how to play, but I LOVE that they love it and can play it together. I also love that it crosses gender boundaries. The girls I know that play love it just as much as the boys.
    Jennifer recently posted..Minecraft ConversationsMy Profile

I’m okay with never getting it! I said boys b/c that’s who my boys primarily end up talking with about it when they are out and about. ;) Though my oldest did his last week of school video with a girl in his class.

• says

Oh I know. If I had only boys or only girls I would do the same. I think it is funny because Cady was on Facetime this weekend with my friend’s daughter in New York while they played together.
        Jennifer recently posted..Minecraft ConversationsMy Profile

I’m totally lost when I look at Minecraft. But that’s okay- as long as the boys are happy playing!

We don’t have Mindcraft, but my 5yo loves the Wii. And she only wants to play with me, because her big sister doesn’t love the Wii as much and won’t play too often. So I am now an expert at the Tangled game and starting to master the Brave game. It’s fun! I don’t see loads of learning benefits, but the one-to-one time is great. :-)

My 9 year old daughter loves it.  She (and a few other girls) are not interested in doing “cheerleading” during recess with most of the other girls, and instead they “play” Minecraft on the playground with the boys.  At least that’s how it was last year.  4th grade may be different!
    Her little brother likes it, too, and I love to see them play together.
    Mamarific recently posted..The Words I Should Have SaidMy Profile

That’s awesome! My oldest played a lot with a girl in his class. I do like seeing how my kids play together with it.

My boys love it and I just don’t understand. However, my oldest has built some pretty cool stuff there. and when the cousins get together–all of whom have tablets of one sort or another–they play together with few fights for hours. It is surprisingly social, which is a good thing.
    VandyJ recently posted..Friday 5 and ConfessionsMy Profile

It really is! A lot of the other games are single player, but I do love the social component. Whether it’s playing together or just having an easy topic of conversation.

My boys have cycled through different games over the past year or so, but this is the one that sticks. I don’t think I’ll ever get it, but I’m okay with them playing!

Oh my goodness. Minecraft. I actually have a post in my queue about it, too, because it’s ALL I EVER HEAR ABOUT. My nine-year-old is obsessed! I literally have to remind him sometimes to change the subject.
    Rita Templeton recently posted..Hat TricksMy Profile

It sometimes starts to sound like the teacher from Charlie Brown around here because I have no idea what my boys are talking about! But as long as they remember to talk about other things, too, I’m okay with them playing!

7. Megan Higgins says

My son is obsessed – like never stops talking about it. I have googled to learn more about the game but I still don’t see the fascination with it, haha. I did however just purchase an amazing Creeper backpack from thinkgeek.com yesterday for this school year to surprise him!

My daughter and husband play constantly. I tried and can’t even figure out how to walk through a door. She laughs at me and the one time I built a house she came and tore it down.

Still bitter about it.
    Joey (@BTaC_blog) recently posted..As Summer Slips AwayMy Profile

Yes!  Totally agree.  I was against it for a while, mostly because of the on-line interacting aspect of it (which turn out you don’t even have to do, and don’t do on pocket iPad version), but we finally last year began letting Lucas play it, now all three do and even Ryder plays and goes into his siblings worlds and they all play together.  Lucas has always struggled a little bit with making friends and it is because of Minecraft that he made three great friends last year, they even formed a Minecraft club.  So yes, as much as I really don’t want to hear about it and I have no desire to play it, I am glad he has it.
    Emmy recently posted..Clean Romance Book Review: Sense and Sensibility a Latter Day TaleMy Profile

Our teen son used to play it more often, but now found other things to do. I like that it is creative, and as you said, it is neat to see teen’s younger brother watch while he builds a replica of some favorite cartoon house or something.

My son truly loves Minecraft . . . though, at 4, he doesn’t even know what he’s doing.  But, he LONGS to be “one of the big kids,” and the big kids play Minecraft, so he plays Minecraft.  And it makes him happy, so yay.

What kills me, though, because I don’t know how to play (and have made the decision to not learn how to play – I want this to be “his thing,” though I’m realizing this may be a mostly-selfish decision on my part) is that he just heads about randomly at the moment.
    John (Daddy Runs a Lot) recently posted..Where I revisit my gardenMy Profile