I’m Not Ready

Because he was just born, you see.

My first baby, the one who hated sleep and turned me into a zombie mom but was so sweet, he also made me fall madly in love with him.

I’m not ready for him to stop being a little boy.

Yet, he’s nine.

Nine and a half… more than a half, he’d tell you.

So, I know he’s growing up.

But, ohmyfreakinggosh, who knew nine could be so grown up?

I thought I had until 13… or at least until 11 or 12… until this attitude came out.

Where he responds to everything with sarcasm or with his version of a joke, which you can tell by the smirk on his face.

Where it’s not “Yes, ma’am” or “No, sir” to me and his daddy. It’s “But, whyyyyyyy?”

He thinks he’s smarter than we are and that he knows best.

And oh, he is a smart kid.

And he does have a lot of common sense.

I can trust him.

He’s been my rule follower, the one that teachers tell me they wish they had a class full of.

tween

But the attitude lately.

I knew it was coming, even from a “good kid,” it comes with the teenage years, but I’m not ready for it yet.

We talk about it, and when he realizes that he’s being rude or sarcastic or disrespectful, he’s rather mortified, like he didn’t realize that he’s pushing the limits of his parents’ patience.

In those moments, he reverts back to a little boy who just wants to sit on his mama’s lap, even if he is almost as tall as me. He goes back to playing with his younger brothers, goes back to his LEGO projects, back to little boy sweetness and silliness.

But it doesn’t last long.

He teeters back toward being a tween.

And I’m so not ready.

JOIN IN POUR YOUR HEART OUT

pour your heart out  Click if you want to find out more about Pour Your Heart Out. Remember, it’s about what you want to pour out: it’s personal, so there isn’t an assigned topic. It’s also about being supportive of others who are sharing: so visit other linkers and be kind with your comments. Linking up? Please visit at least two of the linkers and show them some support in the form of a comment or a share!

Thanks for sharing! Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter12Pin on Pinterest0Share on Google+0Email this to someone

Comments

I’m there too.  Although about a year past where you are… and yeah. it’s so strange as they teeter back and forth between little boy and teen.  It’s like a sort of limbo.  Hugs, Mama, I feel ya!
    Elaine A. recently posted..Samsung Home #BlogHer14My Profile

It’s hard, isn’t it? I’m proud of how my son is growing up… except for those moments of attitude.

I so feel your pain! My boy just turned 9 and his attitude the past month or so has been RI-DIC-U-LOUS!!! My daughter, who will be 13 this year (wait, WHAT?!?) has never spoken to me like he can, although that kind of attitude is starting to sneak in. If I have two kids with attitudes to deal with, I might lose my mind. I keep telling people we need to form a support group for this.

I cannot imagine the tween years. Yet. I’m holding on to my little ones as hard as possible! (which means time will just whiz by me, right?)
    Alison recently posted..My StoryMy Profile

I totally get you!! My Big Kid is 14 and he was always my good kid and is really just now finding the attitude. Ugh. It breaks my heart. My 12 year old Mini Me found her attitude at about 10. She is now 12 and the “Tween” thing is killing me – and she’s a girl – and a Mini Me. Ugh. My Little Man is 2 (3 in October) and unlike the other 2 that really never visited terrible two’s or three’s has been a little turkey since…well…conception. Big hugs to ya – I know it’s tough.
    WAHMcat recently posted..You have to!! Because Jesus said!! Out of the mouths of babes…My Profile

My oldest is the most like me so when I say anything to my husband about the attitude, Hubs just laughs and asks where I think he got it from. Sigh.

5. Angie says

I heard from a lot of friends that 4th grade seems to be that point but didn’t believe it would happen with MY kid… But alas … It is starting and I totally do call him on it and he seems to have the same reaction as yours but man oh man…

I kept thinking mine would be the exception b/c he’s really such a good kid. But OMG. I want to send him to his room (b/c I can’t choke him) when his attitude starts.

It happens so fast and it kind of sneaks up on you! My boys are 37, 35, 29, 26, 24, and 12. I have no idea how that happened. I can promise you that your boys will always be your little boys no matter how old they get! When my boys all come home at the same time they act just like they did when they were little!
    Sylvia recently posted..What’s the Word Wednesday? #4My Profile

He does realize it once it’s pointed out to him, so that gives me some hope. I just hate that I have to point it out in the first place!

He’s still very much my little sweetheart. All while growing up and having some bad moments.

Oh I don’t look forward to those days, it’s so hard when they aren’t respectful and nice to us. The three year old gets like that and it hurts.
    Julia recently posted..It’s RealMy Profile

Maybe my oldest will outgrow it before it hits my middle and the middle outgrow it before the youngest hits this stage… I don’t think I can handle multiple kids with attitude.

I so know where you are coming from here. My oldest just turned 10 – and sometimes the teetering into tween is happening here too. How can this be? Wasn’t he just a toddler?
    Kim recently posted..The Gift of BrothersMy Profile

I don’t think I’ve been ready for a single milestone in my entire 17 years of motherhood.
    Not the good ones or the bad ones.

Everything takes me by surprise.
    These two people I made in my body are constantly shocking me.

I hope it never stops.
    julie gardner recently posted..ProvisionalMy Profile

I feel so unprepared for this. Like they were supposed to stay little and sweet forever.

When that kind of attitude jumps at me a few days in a row, it’s so hard I just crash into bed with the kids and forget the laundry. Those sweet babes can really dish out a few hard knocks.
    Jin Ai recently posted..DelightMy Profile

He really is a good kid. When he’s driving me up the wall with his attitude, I try to take deep breaths and remember this.

I can already see we’re getting to this point as we near 8. It’s more of the “testing boundaries” that they do when they are little, but it’s also so much more. Finding out who they are and how they fit in the world. It’s amazing to watch and witness, but it can also drive me a little crazy. Glad to hear I’m not alone!
    Roxanne recently posted..Conversations with my son: On equalityMy Profile