Expectations and Confidence: Pour Your Heart Out

My five year old operates under the assumption that everyone adores him. That everyone wants to be his friend and everyone wants to be around him all the time.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a friend of one of his older brothers’, someone who is a few years older than he is. Or the son or daughter of one of our friends- a child in middle school or high school. It can even be friends of ours.

He just expects that spending time with him(or even following his lead) is what everyone wants to do.

His confidence is off the charts. He’s cute, he’s funny, he’s smart, he’s sweet… why wouldn’t you want to be his good friend?

first day

And the funny thing is that because this is how he expects to be treated, it’s how he is treated.

It makes me think there is something to the idea that others treat you how you teach them to treat you.

And that confidence is a powerful thing.

Add this to the list of things my kids teach me.

Do you think there’s something to being treated the way you expect to be treated? What have your kids taught you?

LAST WEEK’S #PYHO HIGHLIGHTS

JOIN IN POUR YOUR HEART OUT

pour your heart out Click if you want to find out more about Pour Your Heart Out. Remember, it’s about what you want to pour out: it’s personal, so there isn’t an assigned topic. It’s also about being supportive of others who are sharing: so visit other linkers and be kind with your comments. Linking up? Please visit at least two of the linkers and show them some support in the form of a comment or a share!

Comments

I love children’s confidence. My youngest, although only 2, already knows the powers of his charms. Everyone loves him, everyone wants to say hello to him. You get back what you give out, right?

(thank you for the highlight!)
    Alison recently posted..Baby Blanket GoodnessMy Profile

I can see this in my kids as well, not exactly the same characteristics but that they are treated the way they think the should be treated. I have been struggling with being more aware of my tone and trying not to get so frustrated so easily. On the days when I feel like I do pretty good everyone is a lot happier at bedtime. I hope that my kids can learn to be confident in the who they are. :)
    Anna Hettick recently posted..Mushroom, Spinach, & Cheese Scrambled EggsMy Profile

I have somehow managed to raise three very confident children.  I was quite the opposite but I was determined that my kids would not have low self esteem like I did and WOW did I succeed.  LOL  My kids are not arrogant but they simply know that they are awesome, smart, friendly, kind, incredible people.  They blow me away.  ANYWAY, because they know they’re great, other people seem to accept it as fact and almost everyone they encounter will agree that they are awesome.  So yeah – definitely something to that theory!
    cyndy recently posted..And on the 30th Day, they Hodge Podged.My Profile

I think it’s great that your son has so much confidence. I’ve been trying to build my 6-year old up for years, she’s finally coming around and his more confidant than before, but it still takes time. My youngest is confidant, he’s the opposite of his big sister. I like how all kids are unique in their own ways. Your son is a cutie pie.
    Tiffany (Fabulous Mom Blog) recently posted..Creating a new Spring wardrobe with GymboreeMy Profile

That is so awesome and I so hope he keeps that gift.  My Alex is the same way, it really is amazing to watch how easily so many things happen for her.  As a parent I struggle with helping her keep that confidence but also remain humble.
    Emmy recently posted..You Really Do MatterMy Profile

My teen does this thing where she will look in the mirror and say, “I look good today” or “I am so attractive.” Sometimes she is joking but mostly she is being confident about the way she looks and feels. I love that she is confident and feeling so strong about herself. I applaud your little one and hope that he keeps that positive feeling especially when people try to beat it out of him.
    Rachee recently posted..Forget Winter…Summer Reading is Coming!My Profile

I think it is awesome that he is that confident and people are drawn to him. I absolutely do believe you lead how people treat you in how you act around them.. and I am going to have a mini hissy fit now because you had disappeared from my feed and I thought you were lost forever.. I am trying to find you on Bloglovin to get you back on my list where you belong.. grrrr
    Southern Angel recently posted..School winding down, summer coming upMy Profile

My 4 year old is the exact same way! I find myself telling her, “Mia Grace, remember sometimes the “big girls” in our neighborhood just want to be alone” and no sooner are those words coming out of mouth, than one of them is knocking on our door to see if she can play! :) I can definitely learn a thing or two from her confidence and outgoing personality because I’m such a shy person. Your son is precious!!! :)
    Christina Gomez recently posted..7 months with Maci LouMy Profile

He is a handsome little boy! I don’t have kids, but I know my parents taught me to act how I want to be treated, confidence, but not arrogance.  In other words- I sometimes won, I sometimes lost and didn’t have to be the best at everything, but I was also assured that I was good at many things.
    Jessica (Savory Experiments) recently posted..WEDNESDAY ROUNDUP #23My Profile

10. Dina says

I love that about him. My daugter was that way. She’s got great self esteem still today at 8.

This is so good, Shell. I love it! I need this, especially in my work life. I let people walk all over me because I don’t have as much confidence in that environment. But every time they do so, I feel like shit. I’m sick of feeling that way. I want to be confident just like your {baby} boy ;) Thank you for reminding me of that incredible truth. ~Jenna // A Mama Collective
    Jenna // A Mama Collective recently posted..Let’s Make Room for Growth :: 17/52My Profile

I absolutely believe we teach people how to treat us. My daughter is much like your son, and she is very popular in her class. Parents comment to me on her confidence — how they as adults are not half as confident as she is at 7 years. But my son is exactly the opposite — and he has a very hard time at school. He’s extremely sensitive and always kind. Some boys take advantage of that – which is not his fault, you just can’t prevent some people from being jerks. But, if he stood up for himself and worried less about pleasing them; they wouldn’t make him a target. That would never happen with his sister — no one dare risk her disdain! LOL
    Rorybore recently posted..4 Fill in Fun: Paging Text SupportMy Profile