You should be here right now. My house smells absolutely delicious. Like fall is in the air.
This easy crockpot dinner can really be made any time of the year, but since it smells like autumn to me, that’s when I tend to make it.
Sweet potatoes, apples, brown sugar, spices, and sausage. Nothing too offensive for my picky eater yet enough flavor to satisfy the rest of the family(those of us who like our food to be something other than bland).
In the past, I’ve made this with smoked sausage, but I found Aidells Chicken & Apple mini smoked sausages and thought they would go perfectly with this- and I’ll definitely be getting those again. I found them in Walmart, made with chicken raised without hormones, gluten free, no msg. If you can find it, I highly recommend it, but I’ve used regular smoked sausage and turkey sausage in the past with good success as well, so that’s up to you.
This recipe fed my family of five, with enough for me to have a small bowl of leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, cut into wedges(or a 12oz package of Chicken & Apple mini sausages. Or turkey sausage. 120z-16oz is fine)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (don’t worry so much about how they look, just don’t go super thick with them so that they’ll bake)
- 2-3 large apples, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tablespooons flour
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Place the sausages and the chopped sweet potatoes and apples into the crockpot.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl then pour over sausages/sweet potatoes/apples, and mix.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours, until sweet potatoes and apples are tender.