Good-Enough-to-Earn-Honorary-Southerner-Status Sweet Potato Casserole

Where is time going???? Next week is Thanksgiving!

Are you ready for Thanksgiving? Are you hosting this year? Or do you have to bring a dish to wherever you are having Thanksgiving? What is your favorite thing to make?

I know you don’t exactly know me as a recipe blogger, but guess what? My kids do actually have to eat. A lot. I don’t know where they put it all.

So, I thought I would share my absolute favorite Thanksgiving side.

As you might know, I’m a Yankee married to a Southerner and living in the South. For some reason, no one around here believes that a Yankee can have the best sweet potato casserole recipe EVER, but I do! And after everyone tasted this, they believed me. I think it’s actually good enough to earn me honorary Southerner status.

Now, I didn’t make up this recipe. But, it’s just scribbled on a recipe card in my recipe box and I can’t remember where I found it. But, trust me, this is the best recipe! It is almost sweet enough to count as dessert…but you can count it as a side and STILL get to have dessert.

sweet potato casserole recipes

INGREDIENTS
3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes(I don’t really measure, I think I used 4 sweet potatoes)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS
I bake my sweet potatoes the day before Thanksgiving- wrap in foil, bake at 325 for about 3 hours or until they are soft. You might want to put another sheet of foil below them for easy clean up.
Mix together sweet potatoes, white sugar, 1/2 cup butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Spread into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
Mix together 1/3 cup melted butter or margarine, pecans, brown sugar, and flour. Spoon on top of sweet potato mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

There is never any left. Let me know if you try it!

Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving side recipe?

Thanks for sharing! Share on Facebook2Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest28Share on Google+2Email this to someone

Comments

1. Ms Bibi says

Out Thanksgiving is a distant memory.

Can you believe I never made or tasted Sweet Potato Casserole? We were just talking about it with my friends the other day.Maybe next year I will surprise everyone.

2. The Blue Zoo says

ooooh! Yummy! It would be fun to have a bake off! But who would judge? Aw, who cares! It would just be fun to eat it all! lol

3. adrienzgirl says

See…I always thought I didn't like sweet potato casserole because real Southerners make yams and they cover them with marshmallows and it's nasty. Then I saw someone make a real sweet potato casserole and I thought…if I add this, and change that I might actually like that. Voila! I DO like it! I add some really good maple syrup in mine. AMAZING!

I am going to try this recipe at some point this holiday season though! I'll let you know when I do!

Thanks for SHARING!

4. chele says

Thanks! Every year I try to add something different to the table. This year, it will be this sweet potato casserole.

5. Ma What's 4 dinner says

Oh soooo yummy Shell! This one looks great. I may have to try it out this year.

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex

6. WhisperingWriter says

Oo I would LOVE this!! I am a huge fan of sweet potato casseroles. Golden Corral used to serve an awesome one.

7. Rachel says

I can't bring myself to like sweet potatoes! I'm the only person I know who doesn't like them. Blecch. But I'm not opposed to preparing them for other people, so perhaps I'll try it anyway! :)

8. Mommy Needs a Vacation says

This recipe looks VERY close to my family's sweet potato souffle! It is delish!! And no, I can't believe it is almost Thanksgiving time! I am traveling back East to my in-laws. Wish me luck!

9. Sonora says

I can't believe it is almost Thanksgiving either. Time is really flying. I am not a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but then I haven't tried your recipe. It does look like it would be delicious. It may sound silly, but one of my favorite sides is green bean casserole.

10. purseblogger says

Oh my gosh that sounds delicious! I am so going to try this. Thank you for posting because I've been assigned to bring a sweet potato side dish and I've been looking around for ideas. Can't wait to try it!

11. Lisa says

MMMm I love sweet potato casserole and pie. Nikki just called and said Drex ate half a jar of sweet potato…I think I NEED some sweet potatoes!

12. Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds says

Thankfully I don't have to lift a finger for the big dinner. I wonder if I could pass this recipe to the host? Probably bad manners.

13. Stasha says

I am not a sweet potato eater. I am weird and I know it.

One of my favorites is stuffing! I loooove stuffing!

14. SquirrelQueen says

Being Southern born I love sweet potatoes. Your recipe sounds a lot like a sweet potato casserole I used to make. I haven't made it in years but after seeing your post I think I will dust off my recipe for Thanksgiving.

15. My Momma Drama says

Oh, THANKSGIVING? Jeez… where the hell did 2010 go? I'm a southerner and can only cook spaghetti. You've got me beat! Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

16. mintifresh says

I think I ave the same recipe or one very close. It's everyone's favorite! That's what I am taking to our dinner, YUM!

17. Mo 'Betta says

My MIL makes this (or very similar) and it is delicious!! And I'm not a big sweet potato fan…it's the topping that makes it! Almost like a dessert, which we all know is my most favorite thing :)

18. Debra says

I have never had sweet potatoes, I think I will have to try to make them this year. We are having Thanksgiving just our small family it will be our first time ever!

19. Hyacynth says

Ok, I'm going to trust you here, and try this recipe out for Thanksgiving dinner because I have been designated the sweet potato dish.
    Thanks for something new!

20. Holly says

Our recipes sound very similar…my hubby is a southerner…maybe that is why (the recipe is his!)

21. Jill says

Thank goodness I am NOT hosting this year! I'm a cleaner upper, which is fine by me ;) Looks yummy Shell! I love sweet p's! Send me a doggie bag?

22. Robyn Lee says

Wow, wow, wow!… This sounds DIVINE!! I might just have to make it for this Thanksgiving! :) Thanks for sharing it!

23. Tiffany says

Wow! That sounds really yummy! I am making sweet potatoe casserole this year for Thanksgiving and was going to use a friends recipe. But I will be using yours now! Thanks girl! I will tell you how it turned out and what the response was!
    thanks!

We usually serve our sweet potatoes with just butter and I love them that way. I’m not even remotely from the South, so I have never tasted a real sweet potato pie either, but yours sounds really yummy!
    Sandy
    momof12 recently posted..Soaring EagleMy Profile

25. Angie says

I love sweet potatoes – have never eaten them mashed in a casserole though! I might have to try these sometime

I had never even heard of Sweet Potato Casserole until I moved to the South. We haven’t really done a traditional Thanksgiving in four years, but I’m hoping to be able to do it soon!
    Barbara recently posted..AlhambraMy Profile