The Milestones that Make Mom’s Life Easier

Sure, we all know those baby milestones to look for: first smile, first time rolling over, sitting up, crawling, eating solid food, walking, etc. That first year is so full of milestones that someone got rich over the idea of baby books to document them all(even if not all of us fill those out… ahem).

But as our kids get older, we don’t often look at every milestone. Sure, we love when our houses are finally diaper-free(celebrating one year of being diaper-free in my house- after having one or even two in diapers for close to 7 years) or when they start preschool or kindergarten, but I think there are a few lesser known(aka the ones that make mom’s life easier) milestones that should be celebrated.

• When all three kids can walk through a store without a stroller and without a cart and without running away.
  • Even better when they won’t run away at an amusement park or the beach.
  • When the oldest can make pb&js for himself and his brothers, without supervision.
  • When they can be left outside alone for longer than 5 seconds(might only be for a few minutes, but it’s long enough for a mama potty break- ah, peeing alone!).
  • When they can pour their own drinks without spilling.
  • When all kids can get themselves dressed.
  • When all kids can fasten their own seatbelts(we just hit this one this week!).

What milestone moments have made your life easier?

Thanks for sharing! Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest0Share on Google+7Email this to someone

Comments

Such a relief, isn’t it? I still remind mine, but they are pretty good at just staying with me.

I never really gave it much thought until all of a sudden, I didn’t have to do it any more. It’s nice with all these storms we’ve been having. I don’t have to get soaked!

I still won’t let them try to pour their own drinks!!  The buckling of the seat belt is just awesome.  Buster’s still in a 5 pt harness car seat in my car, and he can’t even reach the lever to loosen the straps, so it’ll be awhile before he accomplishes that one.
    Kmama recently posted..Thank You Very Much: 8/6/12My Profile

Mine are all in backless boosters at this point, which is probably why they can do it.

I loved the ‘shower by himself (without me even having to mention it or be present) stage.’ That made my evenings SO much easier. I’m still waiting on the ‘tie shoes properly’ stage. Especially with school starting soon. Would be lovely.
    Kerry Ann @Vinobaby’s Voice recently posted..Those Days Go ByMy Profile

I’m waiting on the shoe-tying. Though my kindergartener can do it and my second grader can’t. Go figure.

When they start school. HUGE milestone. When they can ride a two-wheeler. That’s such a thrill for them. When they can tie their own shoes. My kids are grown now, so of course, going off to college was a heart-breaker (for me, not them!)
    mare ball recently posted..What I Did on my Summer VacationMy Profile

Oh yes, I am really enjoying some more “big kid” milestones. Landon turns four in two days and he wants to buckle himself into the carseat finally! He can also walk beside me in the grocery store, which is nice. I love that I don’t necessarily have to pick up Brigham anymore. He is two now and can walk on his own as long as someone is holding his hand in the parking lot.

I love that stage when they don’t need to be carried all the time but they are still small enough to carry if we have/want to. I can’t carry my oldest any more.

I would say my favorite milestone so far is making their own lunch. Lunch is my least favorite meal to make (probably because I just grab a yogurt for myself). Now, they just ask what their options are and I let them choose, make and clean up their own lunch. It is awesome!
    They don’t do it every day but the days they do are like a little piece of heaven on earth.
    Kristen recently posted..Girls in SportsMy Profile

But your other two will be past these. I was the crazy person with three so close in age that I was buckling all 3 into seatbelts for a while. And I pottytrained the oldest 2 weeks before the youngest was born: so I had a ton of time with 2 in diapers.

Definitely “taking a bath/shower by themselves” and “going outside to play in the yard by themselves”.

I need to work on getting my girls to do their own laundry.  THAT would be a huge help!
    Shannon recently posted..History repeats itself.My Profile

Oh, yes! And can they fold and put mine away, too? Maybe I should teach them to iron…

How did I miss the seat belt buckling milestone? My four year old shows no interest or capacity for it! I’ll check it out with her doc today at her four-year-old checkup – maybe there’s a shot for that? I think making lunches is the milestone I’ll enjoy the most. Great post!
    Mary @ A Teachable Mom recently posted..Hope Floats (and Jumps In a Lake)My Profile

Ha! I think my youngest waited for that one b/c it was just so much faster for me to do it. Or for me to tell one of his brothers to do it. ;)

It is! It means no standing out in the rain, buckling a seatbelt. I can just get into the car!

I’m loving the “can get his own box of juice and open it” milestone right now. Noah’s almost 4 and when he hit that one a while back I thought I was in heaven. He’s reaching the “can get snacks from the cabinet and bring them to be opened” phase, too. Which I love.
    Courtney Kirkland recently posted..Little Bitty Toys Review & GiveawayMy Profile

I hear ya. They’re coming. When my youngest was born, I had a new two year-old and a 3.5 y/o. I thought I’d be in the baby phase forever. It passes, I promise.

These are so so true! I don’t think I realized it until I had a third kid after the first two had made it past most of those milestones. Starting at the beginning with another kid is so much harder once you feel like you’ve moved past that point as a parent, but it can be fun, too! One of our favorites (mine and the kids’) is moving out of car seats. Both  my girls are out of the car seats now, and it makes them so happy. Easier for me, too.
    Katie E recently posted..Magazine Day: Zombie Us Weekly!My Profile

Mine came one right after another, so I was just up to my eyeballs in the baby stage for so long!

Ah, yes! I’m waiting for a few of these! Wyatt and making his own sandwich and/or drink has got to be the most helpful! I love when he is in a helpful mood and will do so for his bros as well!!!
    Tayarra recently posted..Run Woof MeMy Profile

I do love that! Though sometimes I just tell my oldest he HAS to. I think he only spits in theirs a teeny bit. ;)

You know…. now that 3 of my kids are older I don’t think about those type of milestones like I did when they were little. Of course I started over again and am remembering so many of them now…

Best milestone yet this year…. my oldest daughter getting her drivers license and a car!
    Jackie recently posted..#MyMichMemory – Potter Park ZooMy Profile

12. Diana @ A Little Bit of Life says

I’m still waiting on those milestones. We just stayed potty training. Last night, I could tell he had to pee so Daddy took him to use the potty. Naked. He cried and didn’t go. Then ran out and peed on the dining room floor.
    Diana @ A Little Bit of Life recently posted..Guys Make Better FriendsMy Profile

Oh, that will be so nice! So I can run to the store for one quick thing and not have to take them all with me!

Mine can sort of bathe themselves. I can’t totally leave it up to them, but I’m in more of a director position than the one with the washcloth. Baby steps.

This post reminds me that I hit all of the little milestones and was on my way to being on Easy Street when God decided to give us our little miracle. Now I am starting ALL over again. The being able to shower was a huge one here with the older three.
    AnnMarie recently posted..Flashback to the 80′sMy Profile

My youngest will be in half day school still this fall- but it will be FIVE half days, so I’ll take it!

Oh, man. Right now, it’s always two or three of the four that can do something (like buckle themselves in). But wow, it gets easier as each one learns something! I’m just happy to only have one in diapers!
    Greta recently posted..Great Expectations: BocaFrauMy Profile

Those are all great milestones. We’ve just hit the one of having a child old enough to babysit. It makes my life so much easier to be able to run to a doctor’s appointment without bringing all three kids along with me.
    Patricia P recently posted..Driven to ExtremesMy Profile

Yes I would agree those are all great milestones! We’ve recently hit most of them in the last year. Still can’t trust my littles to not run away in places but most of the others we can do and boy does it make life easier!
    Kimberly recently posted..Ashley vs. the WallMy Profile

I just noticed on your “About Me” how you say you’re not trying for a girl. Love that  you put it right out there! People always ask me if we’re going to try for a boy (we have 4 girls). My response is that we already did! We’re done too. I’m tired. :)
    Kimberly recently posted..Ashley vs. the WallMy Profile

I have 3 kids close in age and the youngest is now 4.  The “no stroller” thing was huge and now, I can go to the town pool and actually sit on my chair for 10-15 minutes without having to chase anyone.  I can watch them all swim i the small pool from the side without having to get in.  That’s HUGE!
    ilene recently posted..Learn to Meditate in 92 SecondsMy Profile

Since my oldest 2 are almost 8 and 5.5 and my youngest is almost 2 I feel like I have hit a lot of milestones with my older two and now we are going back and having to wait for the baby to hit them.  Like the oldest two won’t run in the street, they can make themselves breakfast, they can play out back, they can go to the bathroom on their own, etc.  The age difference has been interesting for me.
    Julie recently posted..Thursday RamblingsMy Profile