Pour Your Heart Out: Not Ready for Summer’s End

I have to admit that for most of this month, I’ve had a mental countdown going of how many days were left until school starts again.

We’ve had a good summer: we’ve gone to the pool and the beach more times than I can count. The boys have played and had a ton of fun.

But there’s just something about August: being out of school for two months already, the kids getting on each other’s nerves from too much togetherness, the start of “I’m bored,” and just knowing these summer days are coming to an end. It makes me start that countdown til school starts.

Once school starts, I won’t have to try as hard to balance work and the kids(well, at least not during school hours anyway). No calculating exactly how long we can stay at the pool before I need to get back to work and no feeling totally guilty for those days that we don’t get a chance to leave the house at all because mama’s gotta work.

And this is the first year when all of my boys will be in school five days a week. The youngest for just half day, but still: even five half days of kid-free time sounds like a lot right now.

So there goes my countdown: less than two weeks until I can work without being asked for a snack, being asked to go to the pool, being asked to go here, there, and anywhere that is not just staying at home.  Less than two weeks til I don’t have to break up fights until afterschool hours. When I can sit down to work and know that I’m not going to be interrupted. Or at least, not interrupted as often as I am in summertime.

And right now, on a day when I’ve had to yell things like “Don’t hit your brother with Super Mario!” and “The cat is not a football!” and “Just a minute, Mommy is working,” that sounds heavenly.

But the truth is, I’ve enjoyed the days of summer when we didn’t have to be dressed and out the door by a certain hour. And therefore not in bed by a certain time either.

When we could head to the beach or the pool or a movie or the bounce place or to the park or to get ice cream on a whim.

When our schedule was just ours: no school, homework, sports, or anything else dictating when we needed to be where.

In less than two weeks, my house will be quieter during the day and then filled with homework, soccer, and stricter bedtimes at night.

And while the quiet will be welcome, I’m not quite ready to go back to such scheduled days. Not ready to let my boys go.

So I’ll enjoy these last days of the freedom that comes with summer.

Though I think I’m going to throw out that Super Mario toy. “Boys, that’s not a weapon!”

Are you ready for school to start again or do you want more of summer?

Click if you want to find out more about Pour Your Heart Out. Remember, it’s about what you want to pour out: it’s personal, so there isn’t an assigned topic. It’s also about being supportive of others who are sharing: so visit other linkers and be kind with your comments. Please add the button from the sidebar or add a text link to your post if you are joining in.

Comments

Definitely not ready! I’ve been on that same countdown, yet I’m in denial. We bought all the school supplies, registered for the ballet class, ordered the new school clothes online… and yet my mommy’s heart isn’t ready to let my firstborn go just yet. I will struggle in two weeks when the kindergarten drop-off begins. It’s totally new territory for me. Although, like you said, the silver lining – I hope – will be my toddler’s naptime. My time. Unless the little stinker gives up naps sometime during this school year. Lord help me then. :)
    Becky K recently posted..Life Lessons From a Bird, a Net, and a Scissors—Plus a Birthday Giveaway!My Profile

Mine started back last Thursday. I remember when we didn’t go back until AFTER Labor Day. Mine are much older than yours and we did have a fairly quiet summer. They went and hung out at the neighbors, played in the pool or watched movies. Nights of sitting by the fire pit and roasting marshmallows and a few days of going somewhere just to cut loose and run that didn’t cost anything but the gas to get there. I am like you enjoying the quiet that is now here.. for now anyways..
    Angel recently posted..Do you believe in spirits?? Ghosts?? People who can see and hear what we cannot?My Profile

Little O is starting preschool this fall & I cannot wrap my brain around it! We’ve had an amazingly fun summer & I’m really, really sad to see it end. You said it perfectly~ it’s so nice to be able to leave the house or lounge around without a set schedule all the time! I’m mentally preparing for the change in structure in a few weeks…but trying to enjoy every last minute of carefree summertime that I can!
    Amy @ Counting My Kisses recently posted..If these walls could talkMy Profile

I think our boys are kinda the same ages (mine are 6 and 8). So yeah, it was tough finding time to get work done. It was frustrating, really. But at the same time I enjoyed our leisurely summer pace and trips to the pool and beach. I’m definitely not ready for summer to end. Thankfully, we don’t go back to school until after Labor Day!
    Jen {at} take2mommy recently posted..The Needy EntourageMy Profile

Well, mine started back yesterday… so I guess I don’t have much choice being ready or not! ;)

Really, though, I’m a little glad they’re back at school.  I’m ready to get back into a schedule.  Maybe it’s because my husband was gone for 7 weeks over the summer… I was ready for summer to end!
    Shannon recently posted..The obligatory back-to-school post.My Profile

I’m feeling the same way right now. I’m torn between being ready to get back into our normal routine and being sad to see summer end. I’ve enjoyed not having any schedules to follow this summer and I’m sad for the impromptu Wii Tennis matches and ice cream sundaes at 10pm end. This is the first summer that I’m actually truly sorry to see summer end.
    Delilah recently posted..So What?My Profile

Same here- I think maybe it’s my boys’ ages- since they can do more on their own, I don’t feel like it’s all on me to keep them entertained.

If it wasn’t for homework I wouldn’t mind school one bit– though I must admit it really was a great summer and I was dreading school starting, but now that we are in the swing of things it just seems normal and fine again.
    Emmy recently posted..Take Me Out to the Ball GameMy Profile

I can imagine that back to school time is bittersweet. On the one hand, I know that I’d LOVE a few hours of solitude a day to work without interruption and get in a few straight hours of writing or designing. But, I’d sure miss having my kid around. Even if it meant getting to go to the bathroom in private for once.
    Courtney Kirkland recently posted..So, You Want to Start a Design Business?My Profile

Though I’m reminding myself of how fast the school days go and how quickly that kid-free time passes and then they are home again!

I sent the twins back to school this year (they were home-schooled last year). I had many of the same feelings about it. It is bittersweet, but alone time with my youngest before the new baby comes is really nice :)
    Lily recently posted..PYHO: Childbirth SoapboxMy Profile

I’m with you! I love having the kids home and the time to choose what we want to do. You know I’m not a morning girl and the thoughts of setting that early alarm just about kill me. And don’t get me started on homework…
    Sandy
    momof12 recently posted..Waiting in LineMy Profile

I know exactly what you mean. There are definitely days when I wouldn’t mind a few less kids running around but I also love not having to get everyone up and moving every morning.
    Jessica recently posted..Coin CollectingMy Profile

My kids SEEM ready and aren’t even really going back to school :) (Well, A has preschool 3 days a week.)

Seriously, though, I would be torn. They are on each other’s last nerves and my last nerve some days, but I love the loose schedule and free time.
    angela recently posted..Different Roads to Successful KidsMy Profile

Ironically, yesterday they had a terrible day and I was SO ready for summer to be over. Go figure.

I struggle with that as well. We tried very hard to just enjoy each day this summer. Or at least, enjoy most days. LOL

When I was a kid, I couldn’t wait for school to start. I loved learning and buying new school supplies. My mom worked from home, so my brother and I were always home during the summer – there wasn’t camp or the pool or sleepovers. I read a lot during the summers.
    brianna recently posted..365 cubed: august 8-august 14My Profile

My boys go back and forth on if they are excited about it. Mostly, they are. But I don’t think they realize that means no pool all the time!

I’m completely torn. I do not like being a slave to the schedule that their schools create but I am tired of hearing my voice yelling all the time. Everything is a weapon over here. Every single one of Gia’s toys turns into a ball or a weapon. I’m ready to not have to deal with that.
    AnnMarie recently posted..Photos from the Week: Living in the NowMy Profile

During school, Sonic runs become a bit of a race- b/c we have to catch all the lights to get there before Happy Hour is over!

Ha.

What you are really saying is wait til I get a quiet house and I’ll never miss the craziness of summer. ;)

I have mixed feeling about the kids going back to school…im not looking forward to getting up early and allll the homework (seems to take hours to get done and the older they get the more homework!) but I will enjoy my quiet time during the day…all 3 kids will be gone from 8am to 2:40…yayyy lmao
    Deanna recently posted..Magic Merry Fairy Maid! Do YOU Have One?My Profile

It’s very bittersweet. Even more than birthdays, end of summer and stepping up to the next grade reminds me how few summers we have left to enjoy together as a family. And how they are growing up.
    Maggie S. recently posted..Ready? Oh-KAY!!!My Profile

I’m realllly not ready for summer to be over with!  It has seemed to fly by and there are still so many things I wanted to do with the boys.  Although I am excited for fall, as it’s my favorite season of them all. I can’t even imagine what it will be like when my boys are school aged but I know getting them out the door every morning during the work week for daycare is hard enough.  Some days its a miracle we all end up out the door, dressed and looking half decent.

My son started school yesterday. We all missed him, but was so ready to get back. My daughter goes to 2.5 hours of Pre-K in a couple of weeks. There will be quiet time, with a toddler so not too quiet. But only one child? Um I don’t know what to do. Lol
    Kim Young recently posted..Rabbit in the YardMy Profile

I cannot even believe that it’s the end of August already and that the school year is just around the corner. I’m not ready for it in that I don’t feel like we’ve had the time to enjoy summer yet as my husband and I have been so busy with work. On the other hand, I’m SO ready for the school year to start and to get back to routines and the like. Torn.
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Ru Hill: More than simply teaching people to surfMy Profile

My son doesn’t go to school yet but I’m definitely ready for summer to be over. We live in a resort town so summer is always chaotic. Also I always feel like summer is such a high pressure time of year with so much activity squeezed in to 3 months. My favorite time of year is Sept – the end of Dec.
    Julia recently posted..Confessions from ColdplayMy Profile

I loved Sept-Oct and then Apr-May before my kids were in school. Warm but not too hot and lots to do without crowds.

I say that I want school to start but to be honest, I am really torn. I am ready for the routine and schedule that is fall but I will miss the lazy-carefree days.
    And also, I will miss my kids since all 4 will be in school all day every day.
    Jen recently posted..Who is That Boy?My Profile

This is my first summer experiencing this conflict–my son will go back to school in September. It’s only for 3 half days. But I think we are all ready for it. And that makes me both happy and sad, you know?
    Natalie @MamaTrack recently posted..NeedsMy Profile

This is the first year I’ve really felt torn- I think it is because mine are older. When it was just returning to half days- I was always more than ready!

I’m feeling the whole bittersweet thing right now too. I’ve had a great routine while he’s at camp this summer, so adjusting to the new school routine will be an adjustment. And I wish our vacation could’ve lasted longer, because it was so nice to just enjoy some good family time. It seems like the summers are getting shorter and shorter for some reason!
    Mary recently posted..Spruce Point Inn in Boothbay Harbor, Maine Is a Small Piece of Heaven on EarthMy Profile

I hate having to come back from vacation! I quickly adjust to the no schedule, no work, relaxation.

I’m a fall/winter person so I’m always ready for summer to end.  Until this summer.  Now that my eldest is officially in school, I don’t want summer to end.  I want her home.  I want cartoons and organic cherrios.  I want last minute camping trips and outings to parks.  I’ll miss summer (but not the heat).  What I really need is summer from Nov-Feb.
    Where is the ME in Mommy? recently posted..What I Think About: Surviving KindergartenMy Profile

We are entering a whole new world this year with homeschooling so I don’t get a countdown until school starts and the house is a little less quiet. Instead, I’m counting down the hours everyday until cocktail time. ;)
    Jessica recently posted..Let The Games Begin…My Profile

I have days like that. Then I’ll have a good day and think that maybe I need more summer.

it’s been awhile since I stopped in, so I’m glad I stopped today.  For me, back when I lived in MN, school’s didn’t start until the day after Labor Day.  The Minnesota State Fair was the last summer farewell before the hustle and bustle of school and work and everything in between started up again.

Summer’s get long, but I realize the older I get the faster they fly by.  And I can’t believe how early school starts in CA =)
    Jamie recently posted..Etsy Party at CRAFTED in the Port of Los AngelesMy Profile

I couldn’t have said it better myself. For me it’s still 3 weeks until school starts and I’m looking forward to being able to work during the day instead of at 11 p.m., and to not be feeling guilty for working when I could be with the kids (and then feeling stressed about not working when I am with them). But I’m dreading them going back too. This will be the first year they’re both in full time school and it’s going to be a huge change for them and me.
    Deb recently posted..A big change to life as I know itMy Profile

All the activities really do get crazy. I think mine are just doing soccer- but on three different teams.

I’ve had a different sort of countdown to the end of summer this year… the countdown to when my maternity leave would end, and I’d HAVE to leave the kids at day care. The past three months have been such a wonderful vacation from life. I can’t believe I’m typing this comment from work!
    Caitlin MidAtlantic recently posted..Back to workMy Profile

Every time I read one of your posts, I realize you and I are true kindred spirits.

I cringe, every August at the thought of our life going back to its scheduled ways. I love the lazy days of summer where we just do whatever it is that makes us happy for that day. And yes, by August, I’m ready to reclaim the silence of my house, but the morning routine, the rush of homework so we can get to all our scheduled activities, the busyness that takes over our family life is something I dread.

Enjoy this last bit of summer with your beautiful boys. It goes too quickly. My baby is starting high school next week. I cannot believe it, her childhood just flew by.
    joann mannix recently posted..Always Be MadonnaMy Profile