Blonde Moments at #ToyotaWomen

Surely you know me well enough by now to realize that I’m going to find a way to take a simple task and make it waaaaay more complicated than it should be.

Enter my total blonde moments from #ToyotaWomen TWIN Camp last week.

One of the things that we did was of course to test drive different Toyotas. The cars were all lined up, ready to go for us: maps inside. We just had to pick one and go for a drive with a partner. Mine was the fab Kristen of Our Crazy Bunch.

We decided to start with the Toyota Prius Plug In. Cute little car. Something neither of us could really own unless our kids weren’t going to be with us… or if I was okay with mine beating on each other and she was okay with sticking one of hers in the trunk. But we figured it would be fun to try it out anyway.

toyotawomen

Me and the Prius Plug In

It’s decided I’m going to drive first. We get in and only think we turn the car on. It’s one of those push-button-to-start vehicles. Fine, I’ve seen those. I push the button.

I don’t hear anything, but everyone says how quiet the Prius is.

Then I attempt to put the car in drive. With the little joystick looking thing.

toyotawomen

The joystick

To my way of thinking, and Kristen’s too which totally made me feel better, when you put the car in drive, the stick should stay there. But, with this joystick(probably not the proper term for it, but it’s what it looked like), it returns to the original position.

We finally have to yell for help if we ever wanted to get out of that parking spot.

We learn that the Prius isn’t actually turned on… though it was just as quiet once we actually did get it started.

And that the joystick works a little differently than we had thought. We also learned that there’s a button to push when you want to park, which I’m seriously glad they told us or it would have been trouble when we got back.

Then it was time for our test drive.

Where we got lost.

With a map.

When all we had to do was go in a big square.

All of this is probably why when we decided to drive the RAV4 next, there was a Toyota employee in the backseat. It did help that he could give us directions, but he was a little terrified of our typical blogger behavior. You know: making sure we take plenty of pics, even if it means getting beeped at when the light turns green and we don’t go because we don’t have our shot yet. He was also not amused by us joking about hitting pedestrians for points.

toyotawomen

Driving the RAV4

We’re actually good drivers, I swear. As soon as we figured out how to start a car, put it in drive, not get lost when going in a square… and we totally don’t really hit people with cars, either.  Honest. I’ve never even gotten a ticket, y’all.

Disclosure: I was selected for participation in the TWIN community through a program with Clever Girls Collective. I did not receive any compensation for writing this post, or payment in exchange for participating. The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not reflect the views of Toyota.

Thanks for sharing! Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest0Share on Google+0Email this to someone

Comments

We had someone following us as well! Definitely need a route just programmed in!

This story is even funnier the second time I’m hearing it… you left out a few details, because I would have told you about the time a friend came to take my car to get the wood out of the tire (whole ‘nother story~ I’m not a good driver, but you know that now) and parked his Prius behind my mom’s car and then took mine. For the life of me, we could not figure out how to turn the darn thing on, so when my mom needed to leave and he wasn’t back yet, we had to do some stealth maneuvering to get her car out, which was impressive if you ignored the reason we had to do it!
    Sorta Southern Single Mom recently posted..Advice and Observations from a Sober Concert GoerMy Profile

2. Kim says

That is truly hilarious!!!! I dont like driving new cars, especially other people’s cars. It makes me nervous. I bet your husband died laughing at your story! It is good to know that something like that would happen to someone else, too. ;)

It is nerve wracking to drive someone else’s car. I felt like telling the person who helped us “I’m a good driver, I swear!”

I thought I was the only one who could lost driving around in a square! At least you looked fabulous doing it! I love the part about your typical blogger actions: I am always asking my husband to take photos for my posts. I likely would have had the Toyota guy to take pics! Thanks for the laugh.
    Mary @ A Teachable Mom recently posted..Two Girls On The Run From ExpectationsMy Profile

Okay, that’s just creepy – just yesterday I was hanging with my friend Kristin and she was telling me about driving her dad’s car which is push to start and somehow she pushed it but didn’t start it when he was showing her how to drive it and then she rolled down the driveway.

There might be a pushing-but-not-starting epidemic, is all I’m saying.
    Megan (Best of Fates) recently posted..Project Life, Week Eight (Dance Parties, Pinball Wizards, and Little Gold Men)My Profile

Glad it wasn’t just me! Not hard once you realize how it works, but not something you figure out just by looking!

My hubby’s VW has a button thingy you have to press when you park ( and his is a manual)… he has more trouble having his car valet parked! Wonder how similar it is in the Prius. I probably would have gotten lost, too. Just my nature and I’m not blonde!!! :)
    Susi recently posted..Instagram Sundays #8My Profile

Do you know what cracked me up the most about this? That you chose the Rav4 because there was an employee in the backseat. Like, he comes with the car. Heehee!

I think he was in there BECAUSE of our crazy behavior. Like, go watch those girls, they don’t know how to drive!

That makes me feel better! We got thrown off by  seeing “Toyota Way” thinking we had to turn there instead of keep going and circling back to it. At least, that’s my excuse.

7. Robin | Farewell Stranger says

I probably shouldn’t be allowed to test drive cars, especially when there’s a camera handy. ;)
    Robin | Farewell Stranger recently posted..Finding My WhyMy Profile

This is going to sound weird, but weren’t the vehicles sexy? I just loved driving the Prius and the Sienna. So glad that we got to meet. Finally! lol Next time, we’ll have to talk more. Any chance you’ll be coming out to Show Me The Blog in October? It’s in St. Louis and I’ll be speaking! Let me know if you’ll be able to make it out! :)
    Kristi {at} Live and Love Out Loud recently posted..The Time of My Life {Wordless/Wordful Wednesday}My Profile