Why I Was an Obnoxious Fangirl

Do you have a band whose music moves you? Whose songs can instantly take you back to the place you were when you first heard the song, whose songs have significant meaning in your life?

For me, that band is Rascal Flatts. So, when I heard that they were going to be performing at Blissdom, I did an actual squee.

You see, way back in 2000, their first single came out. “Praying for Daylight.” I was newly out of college and loved the song. This one in particular didn’t have much personal meaning to me, but whenever I hear it, I’m transported back to being a naive 22 year-old school teacher, who have moved far away from home for the first time in her life.

Prayin’ for daylight waiting for that morning sun

On that same album was a song that later became one that I blasted over and over as I drove away from my ex, with all my belongings crammed in the truck with me. “I’m Moving On.”

I sold what I could and packed what I couldn’t
Stopped to fill up on my way out of town
I’ve loved like I should but lived like I shouldn’t
I had to lose everything to find out
Maybe forgiveness will find me somewhere down this road
I’m movin’ on

“These Days,” “Mayberry,” (ice cold cherry… coke!), and “Love You Outloud” were all songs that Hubs and I would sing in the car together while we were dating. Neither of us can sing, but we sang these ones so loud together.

We even considered “Long, Slow, Beautiful Dance” for our wedding song. Only ruling it out because there was a line in there about thinking about having a baby and we thought it might give people the wrong idea about why we were getting married. For the record, baby #1 didn’t come til a few months before our second wedding anniversary. But, these lines did really speak to us:

I knew we belonged together the moment my eyes met hers
And I thought nothing lasts forever, but maybe this one will

A deep breath and baby steps
That’s how the whole thing starts
It’s a long slow beautiful dance
To the beat of a heart

“Skin(Sarabeth)” takes me back to one of the many times Hubs and I went to see Rascal Flatts in concert. But, this time, I was pregnant with our second baby, incredibly hormonal, and listening to them sing about a young girl with cancer. Ever since then, I can’t hear more than a note of that song without bursting into tears.

“What Hurts the Most,” “Stand,” “My Wish,”(which should be the mother-son dance at my boys’ weddings someday), “Fast Cars and Freedom,” “God Bless the Broken Road,” and many more…

All this probably explains why I had no qualms elbowing people out of the way so that I could get to the very front of the stage and be this close at the performance at Blissdom:

rascal flatts live

No zoom- I was right there!

Okay, I didn’t actually elbow anyone out of the way. I just spilled my drink on them so they’d have to go clean themselves up.

And when they announced that Rascal Flatts would be around for pictures afterwards, I may have grabbed Vanessa(from the Blogfrog)’s arm and stampeded across the ballroom. And cut in line. And then texted Ashley to run across the room and join us.

rascal flatts

The boys of Rascal Flatts, me, Ashley, and Vanessa

It was an amazing night!

Still recovering and catching up after Blissdom.  Thanks to Erie Drive for sponsoring my trip. Lyrics in this post are all from Rascal Flatts songs: silly disclaimer that I’m sure you figured out. And I might be slightly exaggerating how I got to the front of the stage and how I got my pic taken with them. Maybe.

Thanks for sharing! Share on Facebook3Tweet about this on Twitter8Pin on Pinterest0Share on Google+0Email this to someone

Comments

Love it! Wish I could have found you in the crowd, we could have been fangirls together.  I recorded “Bless The Broken Road” – it was on a mix CD (I know, right?) that Rob made for me when we first started dating.  I wish I hadn’t sung along, though.  You can hear yourself much better on a recording than when you’re actually *in* the crowd of screaming ladies.  ;)
    Mrs. Jen B recently posted..Finding My Writing BlissMy Profile

Wish I would have seen you- I wanted to find people I knew b/c I knew I was going to be dancing and singing and maybe b/c I wanted to jump in with someone who had a close spot. Instead, I just made a spot and was a “woo girl” around no one I knew!

I recorded Fast Cars and Freedom- and yes, you can hear me more than them. Not good.

Total accident. ;)

Actually, I think people would believe the elbows more than that I’d give up my drink just to get a spot.

I can NOT tell you how unbelievably jealous I am! I LOVE Rascal Flatts! They were one of the first groups that I knew all the songs from. Glad you got to see them up close AND get a picture! I probably would’ve died.
    There is NO shame in elbowing or spilling drinks to get people outta your way. If they wanted to be standing where you were then they would’ve made a bigger effort! Bravo girly.
    Glad you had fun at Blissdom.

Have a great week!
    Jessica recently posted..*Finally* a night out!My Profile

So true. They could have pushed me or something.

Can you just imagine that? A brawl at Blissdom. LMAO

They are amazing!

How about Vanessa was in something similar only I have like 10+ years and 30+ pounds on her. SIGH.

Very cool! After that history, you deserved your fangirl moment, Shell! ;)

I love, love, LOVE “Bless the Broken Road.” It reminds me of my husband and I regret not choosing it for our wedding song. This line always makes my throat catch a little:

“Others who broke my heart, they were like Northern stars
    Pointing me on my way into your loving arms…”

I like a lot of their other songs too, but that one holds a special place in my heart.
    Kristin @ What She Said recently posted..What I Did While You Were at BlissdomMy Profile

I love Rascal Flatts. LOVE them. Hubs took me to one of their concerts way back in the way back. I believe God Blessed the Broken Road was written for us… (well me.) I was in my most serious relationship ever (thought I would marry the guy) just before Ray. I was a broken girl when we met and spent months looking for a reason to bolt. He never gave me one. It still makes my heart melt to think of it. I was sad when I learned everyone was going to Blissdom, but I was ENVIOUS when I hear Rascal Flatts was performing. **sigh** I’m so glad you had a great time. xo Next year.
    Kristen recently posted..I drugged my child. And other confessions of a vacationing Mom.My Profile

So, I shouldn’t tell you that was one of the songs they sang there, right? ;)

My husband wanted to go to Blissdom when he heard they were playing!

I would love to see them in concert.. Did you know my son, nephew and I did a cover of Skin on my youtube channel?? It took me a week of practice to sing that song without getting all weepy. My son would do the same, he would hold it till I lost it then be like dagnabbit MOoOOOOMMMM.. I LOVE them..
    Angel recently posted..WTF With Dazee and ChristyMy Profile

I don’t know how you sang it. I can’t get past hearing the first few notes before I start sobbing just b/c I know what is coming!

You look gorgeous! I love your dress. And so cool that they were performing… they’re an amazing group. BlissDom must have been a blast! I’ve been to BlissDom Canada twice and it’s been fabulous… xo
    Loukia recently posted..The Oscars: In SummaryMy Profile

Most of their songs aren’t really twangy country, so they have a wider appeal, I think.

Even though I totally love country music. :)

Oh I was definitely a woo girl too!! Rascal Flatts is my all time favorite band. And I had no problem squeezing my way around people to get in close.

Oh so lucky. When I heard that Rascal Flatts was there I was so regretting not going. Of course if I did my Tween would have been so jealous because she absolutely LOVES them.

My favorite song is absolutely Skin. Sob, weep, ugly cry any time I hear it especially if I am in the car by myself. I am sure that people driving by must think I am crazy!

You could have used your baby bump to get up front. “Excuse me, excuse me…” no one would think anything of it.

I love going to concerts.

Even though I truly hate crowds. But, I try to get over that part to go to the concerts!

Overplay always kills it a bit for me, too. But, since I’ve been a fan for over 10 years now, I still love more than hate.

Now, I do love some Bon Jovi. Especially since they go even further back in my life.

I went to a Bon Jovi concert when I was in 6th grade. LOL

I never thought they would do pics afterwards.

Joe Jonas did them and he was on before them but I was like yeah, but they are RASCAL FLATTS.

I was so ridiculously excited.

Sounds like a blast and I’m so jealous! :) And cuteness that is you in that picture! OMG! Miss you, mama! Looking forward to seeing you again sometime soon (TypeA?).
    Andrea recently posted..Follow me!My Profile

I’ll be at Type A for sure!

Some of the girls at Blissdom were talking about a Raleigh meetup, so maybe sooner!

this is the song that i heard and I have stuck to it.   The grief i am going through it through a friends journey after losing her husband suddenly – leaving 4 young children behind.  I send this to her
     often

I am not a RF fan – but this song is so apropos.

Awww, you look so beautiful! Sounds like a great time and go you for cutting the line, spilling drinks, and whatnot to get your photo taken with him :) Hey, a girl’s gotta do… ;)

They’re not “my band” like that, but I love for you that you were able to see them up close and personal and meet them and have a photo taken.

And wowza gorgeous ladies! Rascal Flatts should feel lucky to have a copy of the photo with the three of you.
    angela recently posted..Revisiting Things I Like About MeMy Profile

I love Rascal Flatts, too.
    Not as much as you, though…I would have let you spill your drink on me so you could have my seat.

But all I keep thinking now is “Good grief! They get that dressed up for Blissdom? I can never go.”

Still, I’m so glad you had a great time.
    And I had a two-month-old baby on my first anniversary, so.

:-)
    julie gardner recently posted..Today call me renamedMy Profile

It was so much fun.

Not everyone gets that dressed up. There were plenty of people in jeans. And the last night is a pajama party(which does not mean what my husband wishes it did- but is all about comfort). I simply like to dress up b/c I very rarely have reason to be in anything other than my yoga pants.

Sounds like you had a completely fabulous time, Shell!
    And I love that you got to see, hear, and be photographed with a band that you love so much!!
    Galit Breen recently posted..EasyMy Profile

Hi there. :)  I just recently found your blog, and I suppose I’ll keep reading, despite the fact that one of the first posts I read made me hate you a little bit. ;)  I love Rascal Flatts, and would terribly disappointed in anyone who wasn’t willing to become an obnoxious fangirl when given the opportunity at their show.  Totally jealous that you got to have a picture taken with them! :)
    Aramelle {One Wheeler’s World} recently posted..{Project: Wheelerize} Finally, It BeginsMy Profile

Who wouldn’t kick, push and shove to get a picture taken with Rascal Flatts. One of my favorite bands too. I’d have to say the song that takes me all the way back though is “Strawberry Wine” by Deana Carter. Every time I hear it, I’m seventeen all over again. Oh to be young and innocent again…LOL.
    Sela Toki recently posted..So not the business!My Profile

Well, I’m glad I didn’t elbow you out of the way.

Even I have my limits. ;)

Totally worth it, I’d say. I’m not a huge fan, but I do like their stuff. God Bless the Broken Road is one of my all-time faves. I stayed long enough to hear it and then this tired girl went to bed. But well worth it, and very cool that they performed.
    Robin | Farewell, Stranger recently posted..Writing DangerouslyMy Profile

1. [...] will come as no surprise to those of you who heard about my fangirl/stalker moment earlier this year, but I had to throw in a Rascal Flatts song. This one is perfect because despite [...]