Pour Your Heart Out: What It Feels Like to Fall in Love

broken heart If you are a regular around here, you probably know that the past month and a half have been especially hard around here. With my five year-old basically getting kicked out of school and then his evaluation leading to a PDD-NOS diagnosis. Trying to figure out what to do for him, how to help him: it pretty much kicked my ass. I haven’t been me.

But, yesterday, we had a meeting at a different school(the same one that my oldest attends) and we have a temporary plan in place to help him and he’s going to start school on Monday. They’ll do some observation and then come up with a more long-term plan.

Just knowing that something is going to be done is a huge load off. I can already feel myself breathing easier and I know that I will be feeling more like myself soon because my son will be getting the help that he needs.  This is still all new to us and still too raw for me to really poke at too much(note to self: stop with the heavy appointments on Tuesdays- you need more time to process before PYHO), but I know(and am thankful for) those of you who have been following along with this and giving me so much support might appreciate a small update.

porch swing stories

But, in the meantime, I did pour my heart out yesterday on my friend Ashley’s blog as part of her Porch Swing Stories. I’d love if you headed over there to visit my post: What Love Feels Like.

For those of you participating in PYHO, you can check out more details about Pour Your Heart Out. Grab the button from the sidebar or add a text link to your post, and link up below. Don’t forget to visit other linkers!

Comments

I am so glad that you will hopefully start to get some help and plans in place to assist your little guy. I know it’s been so hard for you, although I think you are doing the best you can with everything that has been thrown in your direction! Thanks for the update!
    Queen Bee recently posted..The wait is over!My Profile

Awwh, your new year sounds like how mine is starting out. I’m just glad things are starting to work out for your son. My son was hospitalized for a whole week and I can breath much easier now. I know how that feeling goes when you’re finally getting some kind of relief and hope.
    Sela Toki recently posted..Something FunnyMy Profile

SO happy for you! Im glad to hear you have a plan in place, and I hope and pray it works out well for your family, and especially your little guy!!
    Jessica recently posted..DoneMy Profile

I hope that things start to look up for school. I work with a lot of kids on the PDD spectrum, and if you have any questions or want any ideas of things to do with him at home, please let me know:)
    Jenn recently posted..Tear by TearMy Profile

I know how hard this has been, but I think you’re handling it like a champ. You’ve kept your eyes on the prize which is getting help for your son.

Sounds like you need some “me time” too…not to sound too much like a tampon commercial!

Oh, I could definitely use some me time. I want what’s best for him but I’m so worn out right now.

Glad you finally got some answers. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is exactly the classroom situation, teaching staff, environment that he needs to thrive. I bet he is excited to go to big brother’s s school!
    Robbie recently posted..CrankyMy Profile

I really hope it works out for him at the new school. I also hope him being at the same school as his brother will make things easier for you.

I read your post at Ashley’s. Beautiful and spot on.

Glad there’s a temporary resolution and long-term plan in place. I’m sure it was difficult during the what now stage, but fight on! I hope everything works out well.
    Arnebya recently posted..Can You Tell?My Profile

I am so so glad to hear this. It sounds like this school is actually willing to help you and make sure he gets what he needs, no matter what it takes. :) Hugs to you Shell Bell. :)
    Lisa recently posted..PYHO: VowingMy Profile

I need to catch up on your posts. I had no idea about your latest struggles. I am glad their is a light at the end of the tunnel for you and your little man.

Me, too. I knew they would have to come up with a plan but I didn’t think they’d be this helpful.

How did I miss your son basically getting kicked out of school?? I am SUBSCRIBED to you! Sheesh.

Anyway…this may be a little forward, but I just love you, Shell, and I am hoping that all will work out for your son. I really am. My post today delves into a parenting struggle of mine so I do get it on some level.

Heck, things WILL work out for you guys. It just has to!
    Just Jennifer recently posted..Doing My Due DiligenceMy Profile

I’m so glad you have been able to work with a school to start formulating a plan for your son. There is no worse feeling for a mom than the “Unknown.” All those what-ifs bounce around your head like crazy during those moments of unknown, to know helpful end! Taking a first step towards a plan is admirable and must be such a huge relief!

I am happy that you are starting to feel the weight lift off. It’s very hard to function when your mind is constantly wondering “what do I do now, how can I help my child. We need answers.” I’m so happy that your other son’s school is working with you and working on a plan for Bear. That is AWESOME news.

I’m just SO happy that you are moving forward with a plan. Just remember, even if this isn’t it, and doesn’t work they way you want it to, there WILL be a way. God will provide.
    MiMi recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

I am so happy you guys have worked out a plan! Having a plan can change everything. Whenever things are rough with my children, even when it isn’t something as huge as your situation, a plan can give you all what you need. I’ll be thinking about your little guy’s big adventure starting Monday!

Thanks for hosting PYHO!

As a retired educator all I have to say is shame on the school system who kicked your darlin’ outta school. It’s a schools job to see that you get the help and plan of education that best suits the student. Bad school!!!

I’m thrilled you have found a school who is willing to do their job and find what’s best for you precious boy. My heart and prayers are with ya!

God bless and have a marvelous day sweetie!!! :o)
    Nezzy recently posted..ENEMY’S CAMP (Guest Post)My Profile

Well, it was a private school so they just said they didn’t have the means to help. Nicer way of saying he was kicked out.

Well, they put it in nicer terms: they weren’t able to provide support for him. BUt it was basically kicking him out.

I really hope this will help. We have a meeting set for 3 weeks after he’s been there to reassess.

I am so happy to hear that you have a plan in place, at least the beginnings of one. As for using PYHO to, well, PYHO…GUILTY. It all builds up. And as I hate being a Debbie Downer every day, this has become a way for me to get it out sometimes. To not hold back. And for that opportunity, I am incredibly grateful to you.

All your love for your son,and the hard work into making sure he’s getting the help he needs is working out. For now, you can relax a bit.

Thanks for updating us. Right now, take all the time you need for you =)
    Jamie recently posted..Lets Visit Utah!My Profile

It definitely seems that you are headed in the right direction. You all need to take a deep breath and enjoy his first day in his new school. You all deserve to see him smile when he is done with his day and feeling good.
    Kristen recently posted..I Have No Words…My Profile

Whew…I feel like I’m breathing a sigh of relief right along with you. I really hope that this new school is exactly what your little guy needs to spread his wings and fly. He sounds like a wonderful little boy and I pray that this school will be the answer to prayers!
    Helene recently posted..No more "bored" games for us….My Profile

I’m glad you have hope again… I know the past few weeks have been difficult for you and the family. But I’m so glad to hear that things are looking up. Do keep us posted. You are in my thoughts and prayers, Shell. XOXO
    Charlotte recently posted..ApprovalMy Profile

22. Melissa says

It’s probably good to have a plan – even if it’s not a solid plan it’s better than nothing! Good luck!

Thank you! We just went in for a classroom visit today and I think this is going to be a good teacher choice for him.

Oh girl- with all this going on for the past two months, I am forever behind!

Thanks for the prayers!

Like I’ve said before… you have been on my mind … a lot. I’m so glad that bear is going to a different school and maybe some things will be different. I just – keep you in my prayers. All of you. xo
    Kristen recently posted..My First TrollMy Profile

I can’t tell you how very happy I am that you have exhaled and he has found a place. I know what a weight that is off your shoulders. everything is going to be ok my friend.

love you girlfriend xo
    Kir recently posted..Because It Wasn’t EnoughMy Profile

I’m still very nervous about how it’s going to go, but I am finally feeling hopeful again.

Holy Cannoli.

I’m one day behind and you have a gajillion comments here.
    So I won’t repeat what everyone else has said.

I’ll just head off to the porch swing…
    I love a good love story.

p.s. Fingers crossed on your new school situation. I know how hard it’s been…XOXO
    julie gardner recently posted..Today call me laidMy Profile

Glad to hear you’ve got some initial answers. My son was given a PDD-NOS diagnosis at 5 too. It took me forever to discover that PDD-NOS basically means: a person with some autistic traits, but not enough or the right configuration to qualify for a diagnosis of autism. It would have been nice to have had that explained up front! P.S. I love the clean, bright look of your new blog layout!
    Danielle recently posted..Big girl friendshipsMy Profile