Blog Conference Prep: What You Need to Do Now to Prepare

blog conference prep 42 days til Blissdom.

It might seem like it’s far away, but it will be here before you know it.  Ashley from My Front Porch Swing and I are continuing our Blog Conference Prep series to help you get ready. Last week, we tackled the financial with How to Get a Blog Conference Sponsorship and How to Anticipate Blog Conference Costs. This week, we’re moving on to what you should be doing now to prepare for Blissdom!

While you don’t need to have your suitcase packed quite yet, there are some items you need to make sure you’ve taken care of!

*Book your room. I highly recommend staying on-site for blogging conferences. That way you can run back to your room if you forgot something or you can easily go get a few quiet moments during the day. The parties tend to go late into the night: it will be a lot more convenient to only have to walk back to your room rather than driving or getting a shuttle/taxi to another location. Keep in mind that the special rate for conference go-ers usually has a deadline and the hotel can book up, so book now!

*Find a roommate. If you have a friend going, great! Share a room to save on conference costs. But, if you don’t know anyone going or if you are looking for more roommates, you can always ask on twitter. Use the conference hashtag and ask! If you missed out on booking your room, tweet asking if anyone has a spot open in their room.

*Plan your travel. Take a look at the conference schedule to see when you should arrive so you don’t miss out on any fun activities! Bliss Newbies: be sure to be there in time for the First Bliss meet-up on Thursday at 2:30.  Book your flight or look at how long of a drive you will have. If flying, you can tweet about your arrival time so that you can share a taxi with another conference go-er. If driving, tweet about where you are driving from- you might be able to carpool with fellow bloggers!

*Plan for childcare. Whether Daddy is going to take off work to stay with the kids or if they’ll head to Grandma’s or you’ll use a babysitter, make sure plans are put into place now. If your household is anything like mine, it’s mama who knows all the details about the kids’ schedules. Things go a lot smoother when I leave notes for my husband about our daily routine, along with reminders about special activities going on while I’m gone- like a birthday party that your child is invited to. Download your While I’m Away List now and get it ready for your time out of town.

Be sure to head over to Ashley’s blog to find out what you should be doing on your blog now to get ready for Blissdom and to download a blog card template.

Thanks for sharing! Share on Facebook3Tweet about this on Twitter22Pin on Pinterest5Share on Google+0Email this to someone

Comments

Awww… that sounds so much fun! I’m afraid it’s not in my future this year though. Still nursing my little one and coaching my daughter’s basketball team. Doesn’t lend itself well to running away from home, even for a weekend.
    Sandy
    momof12 recently posted..Vindication!My Profile

Wonderful tips, Shell!
    I am beyond excited. It’s going to be soooo hard to leave the baby especially, but I knew if I brought her I’d be too distracted and not have as much to take away ….plus wouldn’t have as much fun. And I”M NOT SORRY! I need this me time!
    erin margolin recently posted..I’m Not Sorry, January 2012 editionMy Profile

One of these days! One of these days!

Great tips. I’m sure you all will have a fabulous time. *Sniff*

And now, I’m going to be a little late to the gym today, because I’m going to sit down and catch up on your life. I miss you, girl, when I’m away from blogland.
    joann mannix recently posted..There’s Nothing HarderMy Profile

You and Ashley rock for putting this together. It’s making me a little less nervous. My kids will be in Nashville, but with my parents and grandma. I COULD make a list, but grandma & grandpa are going to let them do whatever they want anyway, so…shrugs shoulders…

When mine go to grandparents, the schedule is out the window. But mine will be home with dad, who needs to know when things like school are. LOL

I cannot wait to get to meet you!!!

Great tips in preparation of BlissDom 2012! I’m really looking forward to the conference and I greatly appreciate the warm & friendly welcome I’ve received from BlissDom alumni.

Of course I booked my flight & my hotel before finding this great information (I found a great deal online and snagged it right away!) My plane arrives early afternoon so I may miss out on some of the pre-conference fun on Thursday. And I’m staying off-site (my hotel is 1.2 miles from the Gaylord Opryland). Hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time and I’m used to attending Dragon*Con every year and traveling back & forth between the 5 host hotels all weekend long! ;)

I’m going to have a great conference experience no matter what time I fly in or where I stay! Awwww… yeah! See you there!

Chrysta
    Chrysta Bairre recently posted..Keep it simple with one word goalsMy Profile

You will have an amazing time!

My roommate and I were in a different hotel for half of the conference last year. I’ll admit that it was a bit of a pain- but you can definitely make it work.

You know, I have yet to attend a blog conference…more out of nerves than anything else. I’m just nervous around large crowds. But this was a great post to read, just in case I ever decide to hop out of my comfort zone!

Very true. Or if you rely on shuttles from another hotel- they are a pain. We learned that last year when we had to stay elsewhere for the last night.

This is a really useful series. I’m bookmarking it. I’m not quite conference ready at a number of levels, but by July or August, I will be (which may mean I don’t go until NEXT January). So knowing some of these things early is a godsend. (Especially about the sponsorships.) Keep the great advice coming!
    Jessie Powell recently posted..Fast FoodMy Profile

Ordered my new cards today. Went with the minimum number this time because I am constantly changing my mind about WHAT I want on them. Really looking forward to the whole experience!

Great tips! I also wanted to add plan your pet care if your family is coming with you. The cats and dog need boarding arranged as well.

Great tips. I may not be going to Blissdom, but I have my ticket, plane ticket, hotel and roommate for BlogHer. SO SO excited. Did I mention how excited I am? A week all on my own with girlfriends. Yippeeeeeee.
    Lady Jennie recently posted..Just a VestigeMy Profile

Parking at Opryland Hotel is $18 a day and to my understanding you are charged that even if you stay there! Yikes! I called today and asked because I was thinking of staying offsite. Still not sure what I should do. (I am a newbie and don’t have a sponsor trying to pinch pennies)
    Shelley (Ground Beef Budget) recently posted..Want more Pinterest Recipes?My Profile