Pour Your Heart Out: Enjoying the Chaos

I may joke around a little that I need a special prayer, a babysitter, and wine to get through the winter break.

And I might sometimes feel like I’m losing the last bits of my sanity and that I will forever be stepping on legos, Mighty Beans, and Trash Packs(have you seen those gross little things? I don’t even get what you do with them).

But, really: I’m enjoying the winter break with my boys.

Even though they still get up way too early for my taste, there is no rush to get everyone dressed, lunches and backpacks packed, and out the door on time. We’re on our own schedule.

It’s not a big deal if they and I want to stay in their our pajamas or let’s be honest, just their underwear, all day.

I might read “If You Give a Dog a Donut” 50 times each day. And have to figure out how on earth their new toys work while reading the directions that all look like Greek to me. And break up fights because the boys are having too much togetherness with no breaks from each other.

But, I also get sweet kisses that smell like the peanut butter fudge that the little sneaks found and ate for breakfast. And I get hugs and smiles and hear giggles and can let my boys just be.

christmas morning

During winter break, my home is loud and messy and chaotic… anything but peaceful.  But it’s full of my boys.  So, I’ll take it- chaos and all.

And maybe I’ll stop complaining that winter break seems to last forever.

What are you enjoying the most during your winter break?

Find out more about Pour Your Heart Out. Grab the PYHO button from my sidebar to add to your post and then add your link below. Please visit other linkers, too. Remember: everyone linking is pouring their hearts out, so please be supportive in your comments.

Comments

Time really does go so quickly. I can’t imagine how I’ll feel in a few years when they want to go off with friends instead.

When my kids were younger, the holidays were more exciting and fun. Now that they are both adults, it’s like most of the enjoyment has gone out of it. Treasure these times with your boys while they are still little.
    Tara R. recently posted..PredatorMy Profile

There are always pluses to school breaks, but I won’t lie. I am usually ready to send them back to school within time ;)

Aw, this is sweet! Mine aren’t really at school (A just goes a few hours a week,) so we’re not really in “break” mode. I DO like having Ryan around more; we’ve done more as a family, and that makes me so happy.

Yes, winter break can drive me nuts, but I love not being rushed. The kids and I can stay in our pajamas all morning, and sometimes through the afternoon. There’s no rush in the evening to do homework, make dinner, get baths, etc.
    Evonne recently posted..The result of Christmas guiltMy Profile

I love there being no rush. And no homework is awesome. I hate having to help mine with homework. It’s work for mom, not the kids!

Oh – I wish we had a winter break! I loved spending 4 days with my Jellybean and family though. It was awesome seeing all of my sister’s kids play with him. I can’t wait until next year when he “gets” Christmas too! Hope you had fun bouncing yesterday!
    Diana @ A Little Bit of Life recently posted..Blood – Not so ThickMy Profile

So much putting together! I opened one box and looked at all the pieces and shoved it toward my husband! LOL

Not working? That is awesome! I remember the craziness of trying to work last year, too- even on Christmas Eve b/c that was a weekday. I was so cranky.

That is why I’m so glad that Grandma is here to read the books a million times! ;) I do love that I don’t have to rush around and that we get to lounge in PJ’s all day and enjoy the time as a family. January 3rd, will be here way too soon!
    Barbara recently posted..Feeling Grinch-yMy Profile

7. Angie says

Cute pics! I can totally relate ! Tomorrow is put toys away day so I do quit stepping on them – I just wish the boys would quit arguing so much ( too much time together!). And Trashies? Yea totally don’t get them!

I’ve tried to put away… and the toys keep coming out.

I have not a clue what you are supposed to do with those Trash things- except step on them.

I enjoy winter break for the first week or so and then it becomes too much where I’m just counting the days until my son goes back to school. nah, it’s not that bad but still, I don’t dread the day he goes to back to school. :P
    Jean recently posted..EscapeMy Profile

Oh yeah, I won’t be sad when it’s time for them to go back- just trying to enjoy the break as much as I can.

At the end of the break when they go back to school you’ll look back and wonder how it flew by so fast.

I’m off for the kids winter break too… I took the entire week between Christmas & New Years off. I too will need wine even though I enjoy being home with them!
    Jackie recently posted..On being a momMy Profile

I love the slow pace of this week. Even though it’s a bit chaotic. Hope you are enjoying your time off!

With the crossouts, it’s difficult to get the image that you’re hanging out in your underwear all day out of my head :-)

I’m back in the office . . . and I’m really, really missing my little ones. Mind you, it’s not a break for them. But, still, with being home from work far more than I have been, I’ve had the extra morning cuddles, and the books read over & over & over again, and watching the same movies time & time again . . . you know, that stuff that you wouldn’t give up for anything.
    John recently posted..Where I say “happy anniversary” in the only way I know howMy Profile

LMAO!!! I thought about adding a line in there that I don’t hang out in my underwear. Just my pajamas. :)

Glad you got to enjoy some at-home time.

It’s very easy to get caught up in the negatives. But, really the positives far outnumber the negatives.

I’ve enjoyed sleeping in, having helpers to help me clean the house, not having to spend an hour and a half helping them with their homework, and spending some quality time together. Even though, sometimes the fighting and arguing drives me insane, I’m enjoying the little “break” from school. Plus, all of the Christmas gifts are keeping them from fighting so much!
    Deanna recently posted..My Other Blogs and MoreMy Profile

I’ve been replaced by XBox’s, DVD’s and friends (teenagers) so I’d just like to see my kids once in a while. (LoL)

Enjoy it while you can Shell. Soon enough, you’ll be me. (LoL)
    Cindi recently posted..The Year of ChristmasMy Profile

Oh, how I miss those fudge kisses! Now I get Opposite Day dialogue – “You’re the best cook ever! . . . Opposite Day.” My older boys are here a lot right now – the one who’s getting ready to have a baby girl any day, the one home from army training – and I love watching and hearing their words, their conversation. The little guys, though, they come around wanting hugs but not admitting to it, so I have to tackle hug them, or they curl up beside me with a book at the other end of the couch. They still need their mama – but so less obviously:) I don’t miss those crippling Legos – LOL – the littlest one build with them in his room and is VERY organized with them.
    Blue Cotton Memory recently posted..Where the Wild Winds Blow: A Gentle, Southerly Mama takes her Little Wind to Work DayMy Profile

I know what you mean…it sucks and it’s great. The best part for me is NOT having to rack my brain of what to put in my 5-yr-old’s lunch that he will actually eat…other than seaweed, that is. The kid’s never touched a noodle, but he’s all over seaweed. Go figure.
    Jill @ Mommy Inconsistent recently posted..The Dead Battery BluesMy Profile

He eats seaweed?

My kids tend to go the traditional pb&j route. Except my youngest, who hates pb&js.

I have been losing my patience a little more than usual, I think. But, still trying to enjoy the non-crazy moments.

I think we all “complain” from time to time without really meaning any of it. I love breaks too – even though I need to go into work and drag the boy with me. I like taking my time in the mornings. I like riding into the city on the train with him, even if that means I can’t sleep or read like I usually do. I like our time together – even though it’s more work for me. So I know you do too.

We’ve been reading “If you give a dog a donut” everyday too :)
    Lisa – AutismWonderland recently posted..One Doesn’t Have To Be The Loneliest NumberMy Profile

The mornings are my favorite. I love not having to rush to get ready. I love not having homework in the afternoons. I love that my kids are so thrilled with their new toys that they are happy to play all day
    Emmy recently posted..A Christmas ReCapMy Profile

I loved being able to sleep in til ten this morning! So fun to hear the giggling and teasing and happiness that permeates my house during the holidays.
    Sandy

So I am anxious for preschool to start back up. And dance class. And swim lessons… so we can get back on a schedule around here. But for now I’ll enjoy watching them play (and scuffle) and I’ll try not to curse (out loud) when I step on little toys.
    jeni recently posted..Low Key ChristmasMy Profile

I absolutely hear you. My daughter asked for popcorn for breakfast and at first I was like No! Then I realized it’s technically a grain and has less sugar, so we both had popcorn for breakfast and it was awesome and tasty! It’s great to spend a little silly time with my girls.
    Anastasia recently posted..Perhaps Not.My Profile

Sweet kisses that smell like peanut butter fudge… sounds like heaven. Complain all you want, isn’t this why you started PYHO? No one is here to judge, only support. And you a freakin’ SuperMOM in my book.
    Rachel (Totally Ovar It) recently posted..Last LightMy Profile

It really does go by so quickly! My oldest was looking at pics this morning and asked “This is when I was 6, right?” And it hit me… yes, back when you were 6- you’re 7 already- when did that happen???

Oh me too! I love having my boys home. Yes, it’s a lot of work and headaches but I just love it. I’m sad that this week is 1/2 way over and they go back to school on Monday. :(

With my daughter only being one we still had a calm and routine day. Although it was fun watching her play with all the new toys and books! I know I will miss it but I look forward to her being just a bit older so it will be more exciting.

Not only have I stayed in my PJs all day today, I haven’t even showered. I’m pretty sure I brushed my teeth, but I can’t be positive. And I’m definitely not wearing clean underwear. (TMI?)

My husband is out of town and my daughter is still with her grandparents, so I’ve had the whole day to myself. And while yesterday was wholly productive on the home organization front, today has been spent somewhat sick on the couch, which gave me the perfect excuse to work on my blog all day – something I literally never get to do.

So, after the whirlwind activity surrounding the most joyful Christmas I can remember in recent history, I have so enjoyed this day of complete and utter solitude. Dirty underwear and all. :)
    Kristin @ What She Said recently posted..The Year In Blog PostsMy Profile

LOL I’m still in pajamas. I considered if they were acceptable attire to go to the movies in yesterday. But decided to actually put on real clothes.

Enjoy your quiet!

Doing the homeschool thing means that it isn’t really a break for us – I mean we are breaking from school, but we are still hanging out at the house most days as usual. But I have enjoyed being more lazy, and watching more movies, and reading more books (just for fun!) the last couple of weeks.
    Tracie recently posted..The Magic RoomMy Profile